Thread: can i start mac book air from usb-stick ?

can i start mac book air from usb-stick ?

I am using MacBook Air which i had purchased few days to go. Its a cool thing to have. I am getting to know so many great features of macbook as i am using it. I just want to know that, can i be able to start my Macbook Air with Usb stick. Please provide with a correct solution as i am still new to this MacBook an I dont want to create more problems for me.

Re: can i start mba from usb-stick ?

Yes you can start your macbook air using usb-stick. For this you should have a usb with a very large memory space. Then you have to format usb stick large with Mac OS. Now once the usb is formatted with mac os the you can run your MacBook Air using this Usb drive. Be careful while formatting the drive as the formatting should be successfully done else due to lost files you will have a problem while starting the Macbook Air.

I had a Macbook Pro which i sold and bought a new Macbook Air, before selling the Macbook Pro i backed up all my data on a external drive via Time machine. Now when i tried to again move the data from external drive to my new Macbook Air, I was not able to do it. So my problem is that can i be able to boot my Macbook Air from exterrnal hard drive connected to it via usb port. Can someone help me out with this problem.

Re: can i start mba from usb-stick ?

You can only boot the external drive provided if your drive is formatted by Mac os. For that since you have kept all your data onto the external drive , formatting that drive will cause all the data to be lost. So you just have few options left with you.
    1 Either you can put the data into some other drive and then format the drive with mac os. Once this is done then you can again move the data from that usb where you have kept the data into the one that is formatted my mac os.
    Then you will be able to boot the macbook from external drive and can recover all the data you want.