Thread: Built in iSight not working?

Built in iSight not working?

I have macbook air with iSight camera. I use it to chat with my friend in London through skype for last three days and everything is fine. My friend is having windows 7. But today when we try to chat my macbook says that I do not have video camera. But I have built in iSight camera then why it is giving this message. I can hear and see his face but he was not able to hear or even see my face. I went to preferences my skype recognized the iSighgt camera but it is not working when I am trying to do chatting. So I check my camera by opening other application such as camera and camera is working fine in all other application. It is not working only in skype. can any one give me any suggestions to get rid of this problem. Thank you in advance.

Re: Built in iSight not working?

I too have the same issue my camera works in video preview in preferences and also work great with other applications but when I want to use it during call it does not work. It was working fine I do not know whether it might stop working after upgrade. I can use my iSight with applications except skype or when I click button during a call. If you have any suggestions to this problem please let me know.

Make sure that you are using latest version of Skype. You can also try the following thing:
    Quit skype or using disk utility repair disk permissions. I would also suggest to delete the files Macintosh HD:Library/Preferences/com.skype.skype.plist and User/Library/Preferences/com.skype.skype.plist and delete folder User/Library/Preferences/com.skype.skype.plist. This will delete your chat history and this is the important step to solve this type of problem. You have doen all the available updates from mac OSX software update and restart Mac OS X.

I am having macbook air 13 inch, version 10.4.11. I have installed the latest version of skype for Mac OS X but still have the same problem. I have also checked the preferences and it was enabled. As you have suggested to repair disk permissions and deleted the suggested files but still video does not work in skype. Does any one else is having any other solutions to this problem to get the video working again? should I download the older version as it was working fine prior to upgrade? If you got any solution to manage this problem please post it over here. Thank you for reply.

I too have the same problem with skype and iSight is not working on my MBA. I was able to view the camera with iSighjt in photoBooth and Imovie and in some other applications. But it is not functioning when using with skype to do video chat, even with iChat I was not able to view my iSight camera. I have search about this on Google but did not find anything useful to fix the problem. So I decided to upgrade all the available updates on my Macbook air. I restart it and launch skype, then I receive a pop up message saying that camera is enabled for skype. now it is working with all applications including skype,iChat.

Foolow these steps to fix the iSight camera issue that are in built into a computer such as iMac gen5, Macbook air, macbook pro or macbook
    1. See whether the issue might be application specific: Try another apps such as with iChat, iMovie and see if the iSight is having the same issue with this applications also. If it is having with only one application then try to reinstall that application and see it the issue get resolved.
    2.Check if problem is user- specific: Try to test your iSight camera in some other user account, if this is happening with one user then the problem is with user settings.
    3.See whether Macbook recognizes the iSight: In the utilities folder check system profiler. Under Usb header see that iSight camera is detected.

I was askype user from the time of my windows days and now transferred to mac, it is good to know that the application is useful for mac user. I am using it from last one year to do video chatting with users of both windows and mac. I have little issue with it I have checked in preferences and iSight was recognized. But when I wan to use it in Call it would not turn on. So I did the exactly the same thing suggested above to quit skype, delete certain files, completed all the available updates. restart mac OS X and launch skype but this does not resolved my problem. Is there is any other solutions you can offer to get rid of this issue?

have the same problem with my iSight camera. The skype application may not install with correct permissions, package need to be in read/write mode below is the procedure how to do it:
    In your finder show your applications and Highlight the skype icon. at bottom right select Padlock and provide admin user and password. Change the permissions to Read and write for everyone. Lock padlock.
    This is not a great way to set an application as you can delete application by mistake. Be careful when doing this until skype fix the issue permanently. Please tell me if this work long term.