Thread: White screen of death on Macbook Air

White screen of death on Macbook Air

I was using the Macbook Air from last 6 months and never has such problems. But yesterday suddenly my macbook got hanged and then i have to switch it off by long pressing of power button. Then i have tried to reset it but it is not happening. Even downloading from the C button too not working. I have even tried booting my system from the network. Removing the 128 Gb SSD revives downloading via the network. Please Help.

Re: White screen of death on Macbook Air

For your kind information, I would like to tell you that i was having the same problem. So I rebooted the mac, leaving the "control" key down and saw the arrow shows the mouse -> so that I indicated that the motherboard is not dead! So I bought another hard drive, I swapped and I boot the Leopard DVD to install without problems. So it made me learn one thing: in some cases failure of datadrive, the outage may prevent starting on the DVD. Good to know.

I did a clean install and I booted on another HDD. On this side, no worries. About the screen, I saw regular neon or inverter card which lets go. It seems to me that like the most recurrent failures. Afterwards, there are tablecloths living near the hinges badly. I use the slab may be dead but there is no apparent symptoms ... In any case, the neon (and therefore the inverter, so I'm not mistaken) operate continuously.

Initially I closed for the pause but when I opened it again, I felt a very slight smell of hot like melted bakelite. The screen was uniformly white, I unplugged the machine (the one between the HD, the modem and it makes the same effect). I can vary the brightness normally but nothing appears, otherwise it works great, but with an external display! So I think it's that damn video cable that was used following the many openings and closings screen. But where to find cheap?

1. put the install CD in the MacBook,
    2. Turn off the MacBook
    3. Turn on the MacBook and IMMEDIATELY press "C" before the startup sound. Careful to keep "VERY" long finger pressed, it got me well taken 7-10 minutes the first time ...
    4. apple starts, release the "C" and choose your language
    5. This is where everything plays. Searching through menus (3rd or 4th memory) to the right of the apple and you should find "Disk Utility" (there are not many clear boxes). You run it and you click the First Aid tab. On the right panel you have the list of readers you have the DVD-ROM (about 4.7 GB, the installation CD) and normally another: it is your hard drive. If like me nothing is lost that has blown! Maj thank you Apple!
    6. If you have your hard drive, you can restore it (button at bottom right) after selecting it, or reinstall OSX. I have not done this, so ask others to not lose your data.
    7. If you do not see your hard drive, you do like me and you freak out. Try a hard drive of a friend to see if the motherboard is ok and at that point you just have to buy one (100Euros to the 120 GB), a lesser evil.

So, I wonder, given the number of people having the same problem at the same time, if we should not declare one way or another to Apple for a standard exchange!

Restart the Mac while keeping the mouse button down - on a MacBook, I do not know how is the equivalent of the mouse, you must press this replaces the click of the mouse, otherwise try to boot into Open Firmware by Using the command line. Rather than rewrite everything I copy using the Mac. Restart the computer. When you hear the startup tone, press Command + Option + O + F and hold down. (The Command key is the one on which there is an apple). Release the keys when a white screen appears welcome. At the prompt, type:
    eject cd
    Press Return, then wait a few seconds. The disc drive should eject the disc and the "OK" message appears on the screen when the action is completed and type:
    mac-boot
    Press Return. Then, if the Mac still will not start normally, try to repair the hard drive by booting in single user mode. The standard procedure is to start on the installation CD, but I find that the method in single user mode is faster.