Thread: SSD the limiting factor in Macbook air?

SSD the limiting factor in Macbook air?

I am using my Dell desktop with windows XP operating system from last three years but now I need something portable to take around. Netbooks are not just enough to do anything. i got my attention to Macbook air and I like it because of it's size. You get a hard drive so small and I do not think it really being usable. If you store warcraft and iTunes and iPhoto and others thing then I do not think having any space left. I am not going to use it as gaming device primarily but I love games and I will install some game on there to pass time. So if you bump up model to 128GB then you would be a price of much more. I know that Macbook air is fine for what I need. suggest so that I can decide about it.

Re: SSD the limiting factor in Macbook air?

I am agree with you that solid state drive are great but they do not have enough capacity.Because of this I am holding myself back from buying Macbook air. Guess that in later half year they would be cheaper for same space and the price what you are paying today you can get twice the space.. But I think this would be in case of solid state drive(ssd) and if you wait for another year you might able to get 512GB for same price.
    In The Absence Of Light
    Darkness Prevail's

Solid state drive contains memory chip with no moving parts. SSDs suffer from limited capacity and prive is much higher per Gigabyte then conventional hard drive. This area is evolving rapidly and will bring further price drops along with performance and capacity. The lower price model may involve reduced performance. Read performance is most important for various applications and SSDs seem to be approximately twice the speed as compare to conventional hard drive 7200rpm. Write performance changes depending on brand.
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"

I understand that flash is faster than a HDD but the processor in Macbook pro is much better, Higher RAM. Does any one know how much space is available to the user like how much space is used bu OSX and pre-installed applications takes? The only reason I want a Mac laptop over a cheaper. I like iOS game and want to have something that would have access to this.

You can get this affordable full featured macbook for just Rs.$999 polycarbonate unibody with I 13.3 inch LED backlit widescreen display. Multi-touch trackpad.
    Specifications:
    2.4GHz Intel core 2 duo processor, 2GB or 4GB memory, up to 500GB 5400rpm hard drive, nVidia geforce 320M graphics processor
    Display:
    13.3 inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
    Other features:
    Two USB 2.0 ports, MagSafe powerpoint, Mini displayport,802.11n wi-fi, Bluetooth 2.1 +EDR wireless technology, iSight camera, Muli-touch trackpad, Mac OSX snow Leopard.