Go Back   TechArena Community > Hardware > Portable Devices
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

How to turn OFF trackpad on MacBook Air when using Magic Trackpad?

Portable Devices

Old 25-10-2010

How to turn OFF trackpad on MacBook Air when using Magic Trackpad?

Hi, I have a question concerning the trackpad on my mac, the question is whether there is a utility that lets you disable them temporarily, for example, when I write or when I play with Windows to use the mighty mouse that came with my laptop. The model I have is the latest generation MacBook Air. I want to solve my problem as soon as possible. Someone please help me to solve my problem.

Old 25-10-2010

Re: How to turn OFF trackpad on MacBook Air when using Magic Trackpad?

If you use a laptop, you can tell the computer to ignore the trackpad when typing or when you connect a mouse.

To inactivate the trackpad:

Choose Apple menu> System Preferences, click Keyboard & Mouse and then click Trackpad.

Open the panel Trackpad preference pane Keyboard & Mouse

Set trackpad options:

Ignore accidental trackpad: it makes the computer ignore the trackpad when typing.

Ignore trackpad when mouse is connected: it makes the computer ignore the trackpad when mouse is connected.
Old 25-10-2010

I am not aware of a function that would disable the trackpad altogether. But there is certainly a way to do this via a hidden preference, script or other! On reflection, the ideal in your situation would be that the trackpad is deactivation of a mouse is connected: You would simply ignore the mouse, and would not have to worry about the trackpad!
Old 25-10-2010

With my old macBoook, and a previous system although not old, I could disable the trackpad. It seems not to walk under leopard. I saw that I could opt for an adjustable mouse weird, but I lost my screen shots, useful for storing my settings hesitant. I will review this option and now we are settled macbook in the same way, so I don’t need it anymore.
Old 25-10-2010

I guess the mouse must be turned on to disable the trackpad not only connected (I have no macbook on hand at the moment): If its the case should even stick the mouse on a fixed stand for what does not interfere Ms. moving accidentally. There's something that still bothers is that it uses the software for the visually impaired? this software would offer it not an option to disable the trackpad ?
Old 25-10-2010

To allow full use gestures on the trackpad Multi-Touch, even when a mouse is connected, the trackpad option "Ignore trackpad when mouse is connected" no longer appears in System Preferences on Mac OS X 10.5.6, Mac OS X 10.5.7 and Mac OS X 10.5.8. On the MacBook, MacBook Pro and MacBook Air trackpad with Multi-Touch Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, the option used to enable or disable the "Ignore trackpad when mouse is connected" is in the Mouse tab and trackpad on the Universal Access pane of System Preferences.
Old 25-10-2010

Try to double-tap the trackpad to cancel any selections you want.

To avoid unintentional selections and marks in, turn off the option of dragging.
Choose Apple ()> System Preferences.
Choose Trackpad.
To disable the drive, uncheck the check box (in a finger).
Old 25-10-2010

Hi, I've been looking at this to create a new user and I have emerged a rare problem. First clarify that I have a Mac Book Pro with fully updated snow leopard today's date. The problem happens to me in the creation of a standard user account as a guest. Let me create it, but when I restart and I get the two accounts (administrator and new user account) to select not let me use the mouse. I use the keyboard to select one of the two. But the most curious problem is that when I access the account created, I get the desktop with a low gloss and I answered the touchpad. If you move your finger across the touchpad, the mouse works, but clicking on any icon or menu does not respond. The only way out is to press the power button and wait out the message to shutdown or restart. Just so I can get out of this meeting. Do you know that I can be doing wrong?
Old 25-10-2010

Problem solved. The funny thing is that nobody is able to give me a solution in this or another forum that did the same query. I say curious because if this happens to me, presumably over a MacBook Pro users as something happens. Well, the issue is that creating a new account, the trackpad is left with the option to make tap clip off. This situation prevented that clicking anywhere on the finder or application, did nothing, giving the impression of being all locked. At the end and using the keyboard (mine cost me, lol) I managed to access the system preferences, and hence the configuration of the trackpad. On the option I mentioned, I automatically run as usual. What I cannot understand is how it can be an important option disabled trackpad. Well, thanks for reading my post. I am sure that if someone had found in the same situation would have helped me.
Old 25-10-2010

First, I inform you that I officially "switched" my venerable HP laptop (which I keep in case ...) to a MacBook Pro on which FNAC was kind enough to give me a price (an early, with the proc 1.83 GHz), so I'll come back to haunt this part of the forum now.

My question is: how to enable auto-scroll on the trackpad on my MacBook Air? I mean this if convenient way, a single pulse, to scroll a page, not just a few lines. As a corollary, how can we lock the numeric keys above the keyboard (I'm not talking about the keypad itself, for which there exists a "digital lock", but the buttons aligned under the Function keys. On a forum Anglo-Saxon, I was told it was impossible to do as a PC (high lock function keys, including those with figures) due to the fact that my keyboard was in QWERTY, but I don ' would hope that's true ... Huh? Say. In advance thank you!
Old 25-10-2010

Apple menu> System Preferences> Keyboard & Mouse> Trackpad

For locking the keys is actually not possible. It has nothing to do with the keyboard layout (qwerty, qwerty ,...) is Mac OS that is like that!

TechArena Community > Hardware > Portable Devices
Tags: , , , ,