Thread: How to turn OFF trackpad on MacBook Air when using Magic Trackpad?

How to turn OFF trackpad on MacBook Air when using Magic Trackpad?

Hi, I have a question about the trackpad on my mac. The question is whether there is a utility that lets us disable it temporarily. For example, when I write or when I play with Windows to use the magic trackpad or with the mouse that came with my laptop. The model I have is the latest generation MacBook Air. I had seen in the settings but cannot find any solution for the same. I am quiet sure there can be some way to make this work.

Re: How to turn OFF trackpad on MacBook Air when using Magic Trackpad?

If you use a laptop, you can tell the computer to ignore the trackpad when typing or when you connect a mouse.

To inactivate the trackpad:

Choose Apple menu> System Preferences, click Keyboard & Mouse and then click Trackpad.

Open the panel Trackpad preference pane Keyboard & Mouse

Set trackpad options:

Ignore accidental trackpad: it makes the computer ignore the trackpad when typing.

Ignore trackpad when mouse is connected: it makes the computer ignore the trackpad when mouse is connected.

I am not aware of a function that would disable the trackpad altogether. But there is certainly a way to do this via a hidden preference, script or other! On reflection, the ideal in your situation would be that the trackpad is deactivation of a mouse is connected: You would simply ignore the mouse, and would not have to worry about the trackpad!

With my old macBoook, and a previous system although not old, I could disable the trackpad. It seems not to walk under leopard. I saw that I could opt for an adjustable mouse weird, but I lost my screen shots, useful for storing my settings hesitant. I will review this option and now we are settled macbook in the same way, so I don’t need it anymore.

I guess the mouse must be turned on to disable the trackpad not only connected (I have no macbook on hand at the moment): If its the case should even stick the mouse on a fixed stand for what does not interfere Ms. moving accidentally. There's something that still bothers is that it uses the software for the visually impaired? this software would offer it not an option to disable the trackpad ?

To allow full use gestures on the trackpad Multi-Touch, even when a mouse is connected, the trackpad option "Ignore trackpad when mouse is connected" no longer appears in System Preferences on Mac OS X 10.5.6, Mac OS X 10.5.7 and Mac OS X 10.5.8. On the MacBook, MacBook Pro and MacBook Air trackpad with Multi-Touch Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, the option used to enable or disable the "Ignore trackpad when mouse is connected" is in the Mouse tab and trackpad on the Universal Access pane of System Preferences.

Try to double-tap the trackpad to cancel any selections you want. To avoid unintentional selections and marks in, turn off the option of dragging.
    • Choose Apple Key> System Preferences.
    • Choose Trackpad.
    • To disable the drive, uncheck the check box (in a finger).