Thread: macbook air: should I upgrade ram or processor

macbook air: should I upgrade ram or processor

I am going to purchase an 11.6 inch Macbook air and I would only upgrade any one option. Which would be best for buck, should I upgrade RAm or processor? I am not going to use it for any fancy things I will just do email, web browsing and online poker. I do not use it for too much applications. I have an iPod so I think that it had mobile data option.I do not have too much technical knowledge. So if provide your suggestion so that I can get worth of it? Thank you for your valuable suggestions.

Re: macbook air: should I upgrade ram or processor

I think RAM would be better for you. Because RAM is one thing that you can never have enough. None of the program you have specified require robust CPU power. So for casual user like you I would suggest that nVidia 320M graphics and 4GB of RAM is more than enough and it would be just fine for you.Here are the specifications for you:
    Processor-2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    RAM-2GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    HDD-160GB Serial ATA Drive
    DVD/CD-SuperDrive 8x
    iWork-iWork '09 preinstalled
    In The Absence Of Light
    Darkness Prevail's

Have the same issue whether should I upgrade RAM or proc but now I am going to upgrade my RAM. But it is overpriced so please tell me what brand of RAm are fine in speed/price ratio? I am thinking to get 4GB of total RAM Does this means I need to get two 2Gb sticks. I also need a good brand of SSD that works fine . I heard that there is some bootleneck limiting something to 1.5 can any one tell this to me? Does the RAm upgrade is done same like Macbook pro remove back cover and unclip module to replace it with RAM or something more is involved.
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"

I just got Macbook air 13 inch with 4GB upgraded RAM and 256GB SSDs. After getting I run an Hardware check, reboot and everything was fine. I notice that there is 2GB less HDD and I did not understand why. Do you have any idea about this? Is this is happening because of hardware check or something odd due to RAM upgrade? What should I do to recover this 2GB I still have space but if I have 2GB then I would use it for photos/mp3 instead of stolen space. Does you have any suggestion why this happened? If you have any suggestions to recover this stolen space please let me know.

I just got my Macbook air today with maximum specifications and In store seems very fast and nice.Need larger SSD but I would prefer the larger RAM 4GB vs 2GB. Only use it to do office stuff, web browsing, photoshop cs4. video editing software, weblogic or netbeans to check java programs,acrobat reader for reading pdf file. Does it make big difference?

Well I think you will be fine with what you are planning to do with Macbook air. Before Mac I was using sony vaio with 1.86 GHz and 2Gb RAm and I do not have any issue with it even while doing most photoshop stuff. But sometime I have run into problem where I had a big photoshop and illustrator stuff where it would sometime hang. so I decided to buy Macbook air 15 inch. You will ahve 14 days to try it and see what do you think, does it meets your expectations or not. Put it into his paces and see hoe Macbook air handles them. If you think that this is not going to work for you, so you can change it with 4GB RAm. And then see the difference with 4GB of RAM.