Thread: phantom cell data transfer and it Usage time in standby

phantom cell data transfer and it Usage time in standby

I have iphone4 and the ios 4.1. In this I keep all the default setting and connected to my wifi network. And in this I have not set any kind of setting but when I put this for an one hour on standby then it shows me that ten minute is used. And I am getting this all the day. So my iphone is consuming around 10 minutes of usage power every hour in standby! So can anyone help me this that whether this is normal or not. I am really worried regarding this issue. So please post your replies as soon as it is possible.

Re: phantom cell data transfer and it Usage time in standby

Firstly when I have bought the iphone at that time I was also facing the similar kind of issue. Here can you tell me that regarding this have googled? Because when I got the solution for my cell then they told me that it is normal. So I think in your case also it is normal. Actually at the time of stand by your phone is pinging your carrier’s server. Regarding this I know only that much it will help you.

Hey I think in this the Wi-Fi connection is closed at the time when you keep it in the stand by mode. When you are sleeping at that time the iphone maybe using the 3G in place of the wi-fi. I am also facing the similar issue and I think we have to report regarding this issue to the apple website. Do you have mail accounts to download the attachments with your messages?

I have also the same problem. My iphone is most of the time on to the wi-fi so that is why my cell data use it at quite low but when I look the history at AT&T then I have discovered the similar kind of thing unauthorized, unexplained cellular data transfers in the early morning it is around 2 am to 4 am. And also my transfer range is up to 50KB to 2MB. So if anybody have solution of this then please help me.

Here I am not able to get your logic here. What is your battery level indicated, tell me? And whatever power which is consumed at the much lower rate than usage and actual usage of the power which is taken it is highly dependent on what you are doing at that time. For example the 10 minutes of call take the less power than the 10 minutes of streaming video. Your phone's battery will carry on draining at some undefined rate as long as it is turned on. But the main thing is that you really know that what your standby time would be is to charge the phone fully. So only that much is my advice here. And further thing is depend up to you.

Yes regarding this I have searched on to the google also. In this the thing is that the “idle” transfer rate which I am able to see here is that 10KB/hour, i.e. almost of 0.5 MB for the whole day. And which I think may or may not be huge depending on your data plan. And now my question is again that what about the usage time when in standby? And I bet on this that these two issues are related to one another. I have also disabled the cell data transfer now to check whether it is increases the usage time or not in the standby mode.