Thread: MacBook Air: how to upgrade the SSD?

MacBook Air: how to upgrade the SSD?

I am having the MacBook air and the thing is that I am running out of space. I have the just 80GB on the notebook and I want to know if there is even a slight possibility that I can get the hard disk of the notebook upgraded. Because of this limited post I have to carry always the external hard drive for me, is there a way by which I can get the things under my belt. I have for many times upgraded the MacBook Pro and I had no difficulty while dealing with that. I think that the same case can be with the MacBook Air. I have just recently read that the MacBook Air uses the PATA drive. Please suggest me something for this.

Re: MacBook Air: how to upgrade the SSD?

Well it is really possible to get the up gradation done on your apple MacBook Air and the thing is that it cannot be done with you. I want to say that it will be nice if you can call an official from Apple’s side and let the official do it for you. It is because it cannot be done with the non-apple personnel since it is not meant to be handled in that manner. It is not impossible but you will have to get it done in a prescribed manner.
    In The Absence Of Light
    Darkness Prevail's

I am in total agreement with what you have mentioned Bon-Z and I totally believe that it will be the best thing to ask for the Apple official to get the thing done from the Apple Technician. Just ask them to do it or I think that it will be nice from your side if you can take it to the Apple’s Service Center and get it done from there. They will be also happy to get it done and have purchased the new hard disk from them.
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"

I also wanted to have the upgrade for my Hard Disk and would have been happy if that would have been done by my own. The thing however is that I do not want to take risk with the notebook and the other scenario is that I am tired of carrying the External hard drive for me. Also I do not have the notebook under warranty, is that because of this they are going to charge me extra. I am sure that the hard disk that they will be charging will be higher and if I will have to spend more bucks on it then I think that I will have to feel sorry for me. Please guys let me know if anyone has done it before.

I think that the case in your matter is somewhat costly and the thing is that because you are not under the warranty. Also in addition to this I just want to tell you that if you will buy the product from the Apple store then they will for sure give a warranty period and the thing is also going to be original. Just give a visit to the Service Center and see if they will do it for you in free, well there are chances that they might do it at free. Do post if that works in your favor.

I am also of the opinion that the hard disk that you have in the MacBook Air is not designed to be replaced or can be upgraded by the end user. Well I have found a way by which however I have found the way by which hard drive swap will be definitely possible. Well it can be done in the same manner that you all use to do with the MacBook Pro, in addition to that the only thing that I would like to tell you all is to keep in mind the thickness of the hard disk that you will be replacing. The description of the thickness is that it should be 5mm.

Well I am of the opinion that the after the last post you all must have got a sigh of relief. I just want to tell you all that the things can be done but they are too risky. Also the things can get worse so I just want to recommend that if possible get it done by the Apple itself, also they might do it for free and will not charge if you take the hard disk form them. Come on guys please buy original things. Also I am not asking you but I am recommending it. Well in addition to that I have some of the threads that can help you understand why I am suggesting you all this in advance. Just have a look at these two threads and I am sure that they will be of some help to you. Macbook Air: user-upgrade from 2GB to 4GB? and How to upgrade ram on macbook