Thread: iMac 27" installed custom SSD as second disk

iMac 27" installed custom SSD as second disk

After doing search I decided to install corsair Force 240GB SSD in my new 27 inch iMac. OSX does not support TRIM for moment but a sandforce drive like corsair Force is better option. The installation was successful but replacing the built in hard drive is easier then installing an additional SSD.I will need a left-angled SATA cable and a SATA power Y cable.You can remove the glass panel on the front of the iMac with your fingernails. Once the display and HD are out you will need to remove eight screws to loose the motherboard.The space for SSD is very tight you just need to slide it into place behind the wires and connect the sata cable and power cables once it is placed. On default installation of OSX I went to applications/select all/open and it takes 2 sec to open everything, I was expecting it to be fast.

Re: iMac 27" installed custom SSD as second disk

You will need 2.5 or 3.5 adapter but these are included with many SSD drivers. The Corsair Force came with 3.5 adapter.I too recommend the corsair force performance is up and like other drives performance will not drop off much without trim. You need high density Sandforce drive, but I think the Corsair is cheapest. I will not go for an Intel SSD. You will also need to short the temperature cable to keep the HDD fan at its minimum speed. I have easily replace the HD by myself but I struggled with unscrewing the motherboard so I was helped by my brother for installation.SSDs hardly generates any heat at all and I am not worried about overheating.

These review worry me a little because they did not have retest the random access operation.The toshiba is lagging far behind the Sandforce drive in random access operation. So I would like to see how it performs after being written over many time. It is a pretty decent drive and will be better if OSX supports TRIM command I will say it is frustrating to have Toshiba when there are such better performing options are available.

The SSD that Apple ships is much more better than the standard HDD. The issue is that it is not as good as other drivers and everyone not want to spend extra money but if you already have an SSD that is faster. You even did not need 256GB of space for operating system and application. And if you are buying Apple SSD I have no issue as it's price is ok for 256GB drive, it is fast and does not generate anxiety. But personally I will not pay something like $750 for that which I already have. I am able to remove the drive if I need to bring it for repairing but I do not think to have to as it would work for some more years without any problem.