Thread: Which one is better : i7 iMac or i5 iMac

Which one is better : i7 iMac or i5 iMac

I need a imac. I am so pleased that Apple have put Quad Core processors in to their new imacs, I am some confusion is that Should I go for the i5 or i7? My major use will be the normal internet, email, word processing and HD Video editing and ultimately music production using logic. I also able to put aside $550 going with the i5, so that pretty much preserved the deal for me. For most people I am expecting the difference is not as large, but I was clever to get a reduction from buying a stock configuration. Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: i7 iMac Vs i5 iMac

In i5 iMac, With the 2.66GHz Core i5 iMac (not to bring up the build-to-order 2.8GHz Core i7 model), Apple has shape the line between consumer and skilled systems. The 2.66GHz Core i5 iMac present faster recital at most tasks than the 2.66GHz Quad-Core Mac Pro. The Core i5 iMac also has more memory and more storage room than that Mac Pro, while costing $500 less. if not you absolutely want additional PCI cards, many internal hard drives, or a lot of RAM, the Core i5 iMac build a strong container for the individual the go-to system for the majority Mac professionals.

The Core i5 features a skill Intel calls Turbo Boost. If an application isn’t by every available core, the cores that are idle shut off, and the active cores speed up. According to Apple, this allows the processor to run up to 20 percent earlier below grave workloads; that translates to 3.2GHz in this iMac. As an get better option to the Core i5 iMac, you can exchange in a 2.8GHz Core i7 quad-core processor for $200 more. The Core i7 also skin Turbo Boost (for speeds of up to 3.46GHz), and it also has Hyper-Threading technology that can at this time itself to very threaded applications as have. Core i5 iMac has the similar hard drive as two of the further three new iMacs, we didn’t see a big difference in our file reappearance test, and our unzipping test results be beautiful flat crossways the board. However, we did see a 25 percent step up in the Core i5 iMac’s Compressor score while compared to the 21.5-inch 3.06GHz iMac, a 26 percent boost in Call of Duty frame rates, a whopping 71 percent upgrading in our HandBrake test.

First off, I be supposed to note that the Core i7 chip has what Intel calls a "turbo mode." That is, when it's not use all of its cores, it can animatedly overclock itself up to 3.4GHz on what single core is in use. So you get the turbo advantage when using a number of of the four cores in this iMac's chip, but you also obtain it at what time all cores are being partly used. For example, if four cores are organization but only at a fraction of their total capacity (less than 100%), the cores can employ that electrical/thermal slide to overclock to unreliable degrees. This should in theory make up for the dissimilarity between the two-core 3.06GHz chip and the hyper threaded quad core chip at a base of 2.8GHz.

Our tests of the built-to-order Core i7 iMac (which, other than the processor, has the same stipulation as the stock Core i5 iMac) showed even better performance prowess. With a Speedmark 6 score of 225, the $2199 Core i7 iMac was nearly 8 percent quicker than the Core i5 iMac. The Core i7 was nearly 11 percent faster than the $2499 2.66GHz Quad-Core Mac Pro and 9 percent faster than the 2.26GHz 8-Core Mac Pro, which put up for sale for $1100 more. In our tests, there be a few tasks where have eight physical processing cores was helpful, like our MathematicaMark and Cinebench CPU tests.

The new iMacs characteristic Intel's Core i3, i5, and i7 CPUs and well-organized ATI graphics processors, while keep hold of their screen sizes of 21.5 and 27-inch configurations. The new CPU line up starts out at a dual-core 3.06 and 3.2 GHz Core i3 CPUs, a 2.8 and 3.6 GHz Core i5, and a 2.93 GHz quad-core Core i7. Memory configurations found out at 4 GB and the iMac can hold up up to 16 GB of RAM. New to the iMac is an not obligatory 256 GB solid state drive for the 27-inch Macs. The SSD drives can be second-hand as a main or secondary hard drive. Graphics wise, 21.5-inch iMacs ship by either a Radeon HD 4670 with 256 MB or a Radeon HD 5670 with 512 MB. The 27-inch iMacs ship by a Radeon HD 5670 with 512 MB of RAM and extend an elective Radeon HD 5750 with 1 GB of RAM. The quad-core i7 iMac draw closer average with the 5750. Pricing starts out at $1199 for the bottom and up to $2,199 for the 2.93 GHz quad-core

Mac Core i7 Quad. The 2.93GHz machine with a 27-inch screen is package with 8GB of RAM for $2,329. After that is an iMac Core 2 Duo running at 3.06GHz with a 27-inch display. We enfold up the top deal with Appleā€™s just-unveiled 24-inch Cinema LED widescreen LED display for $780. Along the method, we make sure out the newest lot of iPad app freebie and iPhone app price drops. As forever, particulars on these and lots of other substance for your iPhone, iPad, iPod and Mac.