Thread: How to set iMac to never sleep

How to set iMac to never sleep

I have a fairly new 17 inch iMac, it was purchased in august. It come with Panther installed, and ever as we first twisted it on it have the following problem. We place it to sleep probably 3-5 times a day, and at smallest amount one time a day, after it has be put to slumber it won't wake up up. The sleep indictor on the check is not pulsing, the screen is black but I be able to hear that the processor is in fact on. I have try hitting keyboard keys, the mouse, nothing works. I contain to force a restart. I want to know that how to fix that? Please suggest.

Re: How to set iMac to never sleep

You need not use Jiggler that is a little freeware app with one reason: to stay your Mac awake. When you have some long task for your computer to do, it's irritating to have to turn off your screensaver and turn off the sleep timer, simply to have to turn it all back on once more when you're done. (The "never sleep" bend will keep your screensaver from kicking in, but still won't stop your machine from falling asleep.) What you actually want is a small helper who will knock your mouse every once in a even as to keep your machine alert. That's Jiggler.

I don't believe that would be the issue. Your strength desires to double check though, run the computer lacking the external HDD and see if it will. If not, you ought to double check your settings in System Preferences. Once in System Preferences, you'll want to specially look in the Energy Saver, and Displays preferences. Energy Saver particularly should have slumber and hard-drive options. That’s where I think you'll want to look.

You need to open the Energy Saver partiality pane and put the machine to never sleep, and the exhibit to never power down. Also, you may want to build sure the machine is set to restart after a power failure. Nothing worse than life form on a trip and not being clever to access your sever because of a small power hiccup. The key to this chop is a bit of software called ScriptSaver. It is a easy screen saver that runs an AppleScript when activated. You also need a program called Sleep Display which, as the person's name states, simply turns off the display. The homepage for this program seem to be down, but you can download it from MacUpdate. Next, you resolve need an AppleScript that call for Sleep Display to run. You can also adapt this script to run mantainace tasks given that this appliance will never go to sleep, or to turn on any camera recording or monitor software you force be using. Mine is set to power down the present then start my iCam software.

When the hard drive is motionless for a period of time, it will stop rotating to preserve energy. Other than a small reduction in sound from the computer, you probably will not notice when the hard disk is sleeping. The hard disk will start rotating the next time in order needs to be read from or written to the disk, and you may see a short delay as this occurs. Display sleep: When show sleep occurs, the exhibit will go black, but running applications stay put active. If your exhibit has a power meter, it may change to point toward that the display is in a low-power mode. To wake the show, simply move the mouse, touch the trackpad, or press a key on the keyboard.

You can place Energy Saver first choice to set your computer to regularly sleep after a exacting period of time; an internal counter called a "sleep timer" monitors the quantity of time your CPU has been inactive. When the counter's time match the sum of time you particular, the processor enters snooze mode and display a pulse power light. Some possessions reset the sleep timers, prevent the computer from sleeping:
    • Hard drive access (even if you're not using the computer, a operation application might be accessing your drive, for example when downloading a large file or listening to music in iTunes)
    • Moving the mouse or using a portable Mac's trackpad, urgent a mouse button, or pressing a key on the keyboard
    • Some System preference settings.
    • Open applications.
    • Input devices.
    • Expansion cards.
    • Additional drives, such as USB, FireWire, DVD, or CD drives.