Thread: Mac Mini vs Power mac

Mac Mini vs Power mac

I had an old powermac dual G5 2.7 which I want to replace. I am planning to get iMac but I already having a nice apple MATTE display and now there is no room to run a dual monitorsetup. I know that mac mini is having only a core 2 duo but I have an issue that what kind of performance difference will be there between my power mac G5 and mac mini? I am web developer and I work a lot on photoshop , cs,lightroom.So tell me if it is worth spending money on mini or should I get a i5 iMac. Thank you for your reply. your suggestion would be appreciated.

Re: Mac Mini vs Power mac

I think that a new architecture will be much more better than the old but this does not seem so.The new mac mini will be faster about everything except video encoding compared to old G5 Quad. But the drivers on mac mini are tend to be slow. If it is slow just at running application each macOS seems to suck more memory so if possible try to upgrade unit to 8GB.
    In The Absence Of Light
    Darkness Prevail's

You need more RAM and even either SSDs or Momentus XT. The notebooks hard drive is steaming and needs to be swapped out asap. My old power Macs raid 0 file system was smokin and I was surprised that it is an SSD or faster then SSD. Graphic is little better than my old power macs card but sometime there is 30-40 second lag an ddrivers on it tend to be slow. I think if you have more RAM then it would help this out a lot. I did not have done this yet but I am planning for matched pairs for either 4GB or 8GB.
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"

I have 1.6Ghz G5 power mac with 9800 Radeon in it.But 2.6ghz mac mini is faster in each and every aspect with 7200 rpm drive. Graphics included. (400m is not a bad graphic chipset but it does not meet by today's standard.So a 2.66Ghz mac mini with 8GB of RAM and a good SSD will be much faster machine then compare to any G5 powermac could ever be.

I have power mac G5 from last year with specification 512mb RAM, dual processor 2.0Ghz and 80Gb hard drive, it also have an option for ATI Radeon 9600 Graphic card.Due to 64-bit processor power mac have greater than 4GB memory limit but currently G5 can hold 16Gb of RAM using eight memory slots with 2Gb with each stick.Power mac G5 late 2005 has the following specifications: Processor-DP DC "Quadcore" 2.5 GHz PowerPC 970MP, Graphic card-NVIDIA GeForce 6600 LE,Quadro FX 4500 with 128, 256, or 512 MB of DDR RAM,Cache-L1, 1 MB L2 per core,Memory-512MB of PC2-4200 DDR2 expandable upto 16GB, Hard drive-160, 250, or 500 GB 7200 rpm.

Apple mac mini is enclosed in a aluminium unibody and its power supply is already built in inside to eliminate bulk appearance and also has fewer cables to connect. It is the world's most energy efficient desktop unlike other computer mac mini only consumes less than 10 watts when it is in idle mode. It has nVidia Geforce 320m graphic which is today one of the fasted integrated graphic processor. It also consists a 2GB of DDR3 which is expandable up to 8GB, 2.4Ghz or 2.66Ghz core 2 due processor with 3mb l2 cache. It has one firmware 800 port, 4 USB 2.0 port and SD card sort. The new one also has AirPort Extreme 802.11n Wi-Fi wireless networking,Bluetooth 2.1+EDR ethernet and also has audio line in minijack and also support apple iphone headphone.

I have updated my mac to 8GB and it seem that if stock 2GB of RAM is causing all this. The commonn lag has now totally gone away as I install 8GB. Re-starting application is fast as there is plenty os ram to cache and I also keep my 320M graphic happy. When any one says that 320M graphic is much better then any G5 graphics I did not believe this. They are better then my old power mac 6800 graphics but when I have upgraded the RAM they definitely pulled ahead. It suffer greatly when running big application or multiple application but the issue is now resolved.People told me that 320M graphics are dependent on RAM usage, I really got a relief from this upgrade.