Thread: Mac mini no sound after upgrade

Mac mini no sound after upgrade

I have recently upgraded my Mac Mini. Everything was done as expected. Once done I was very happy with it and since I was fed up of daily work I wanted to chill out and for this I started some soft music on my computer but there was nothing. There was no sound from the speaker. I checked if the cables were connected but everything was normal. Then I checked if its because of the application that I was using and tried to play some online music but still nothing fixed this. I don't know where is the problem and how to fix this. Is there anyone who can explain me or suggest me how to solve this problem?

Re: Mac mini no sound after upgrade

First of all what you have upgraded on your Mac Mini computer? Was it from Apple or some other retailer? If it was from some other hardware shop then you might have actually voided your warranty and thus it is not possible for you to get help from Apple. You have fix this on your own. Don't worry, we are there to help you! Anyways, it might also occur due to some application. Make sure you have proper settings configured in your Audio/MIDI setup.

The same thing happened to me too a few weeks ago. I had done a ram upgrade at that time. The problem was that the sound going to mute all the time and I was unable to change the settings to get it fixed. If it's still under warranty, then you can contact Apple for the same. If you are still unable to solve the problem then its better to buy a USB sound card. This problem is related to logic board.

Thanks for your suggestions but I have already done that but this doesn't solve my problem. I reconfirmed by looking here and there to make sure I have not missed anything and I noticed that I have a wire unhooked. I thought it must be causing the problem and connect it as per the manual that I got from Apple. But it didn't solved the problem. I removed all the cables and reconnected everything but it was of no help. So do you think the only solution is to take it to Apple. BTW I have upgraded my memory and it was from a local shop. Should I place my original ram that came with Mac mini so that they will help me? How can a memory upgrade can create the problem?

I think it is related to the problem of settings. May be while up-gradation you have made some changes and this has affected the sound settings. Go to System Preferences - Sound. You should see a button listed over there that is having a title that says Output. Click on it, you will have a list of items. This is basically the one that is currently used for outputs. Check the list to see which one is selected: digital out, headset, internal speakers etc. Make the corrections and see if that helps.

Upgrading RAM shouldn't cause you the problem. However I think you have to reset the PRAM. To do this restart your Mac computer. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. Keep on pressing these buttons until the computer restarts and you should hear the startup sound. Once you hear the sound, you can release the keys. If this doesn't help then you should see if you need a sound driver.