Thread: Can not delete time machine backups in my trash

Can not delete time machine backups in my trash

I am planning to move the files or apps not done backups from time machine to my trash in order to delete them since time machine is not working.I have successfully moved them in my trash, now I have them in trash but still can not get rid of this whatever I did. I will really want them to gone because currently I am having only having 50GB left on my hard drive from my 80GB. Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thank you .

Re: Can not delete time machine backups in my trash

Time machine was just doing a traversal of your backup because seen a small error and if you leave it will automatically backup.You do not need to secure empty your trash with backups do you know how long this will take.If your empty trash is not working then you can try using terminal:In your Time machine CD to the trash by typing code:cd /Volumes/TimeMachineDrive/Trashes and then delete the forded using sudo permissions by typing code:sudo rm -rf name of folder and then provide your admin password.If you do not have any thing on your time machine then I will suggest you to format it and start again so that you do not have this issue in future.

I get an error message everytime when I try to backup, I have tried since 10.5.2.And it says that operation not permitted on each and every thing I did to delete from my trashes folder on my hard drive.Error message HD: operation not permitted. It does the same thing on all of them and in end it says that directory is not empty. When I had try to delete them off my computer trash, now the time machine drive trash.

The same thing happened to me also and I also want to empty my trash when unable to delete. This is going to take a long time to delete your trash and When I did it after 10 minutes of waiting it says that it is still in the process of preparing to empty. It is going to take a long time but if I have to choose then I would have format the the external drive rather then trying to empty your trash.As formatting will not take too much time and you will get rid of your problem.I will suggest you to format it.

Having exact the same problem. I have external 750Gb drive and I am using half of its partition for storage purpose and remaining for backup. I try to delete my backup in progress in the trash and after several attempts backup is failing and now when I am trying to secure empty trash it keeps on counting files forever(I let it to run for whole day It counts upto 45,000,456 files and still counting). After this I just try regular empty and it freezes when it counts upto 123,897. I even try to remove the backup files directly from progress package and it allow me to do so but I have the same issue when trying to empty the trash. When I try to delete one file at a time this works until I am not doing anything with backup progress. I try to rename the backup in progress but it does not allowing me.I am using 10.5.4.
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"

I too have lots of problem with this and I was searching for solution.I right clicked on trash Icon to get the list of options and it show me what needed emptying then I click on the progress package and ask to show me the content package.I doubled click until I got two files boot and bootx both of them were locked.I clicked on Apple to get info about both this files and Unticked the locked files for both file.I close the open window of package content and then try to empty trash as normal. And there was that crunching noise and the files got deleted. Hope this will help to get rid of your issue and if you have any further problem let me know.
    Last edited by Bon-Z; 21-10-2010 at 06:50 PM.
    In The Absence Of Light
    Darkness Prevail's

I will suggest to perform this. Select Finder from your menu bar and Navigate to select Empty trash while holding down.And your problem would be resolved. It should take as long as it take normally to delete two GB, Be patient and it will delete all if your are deleting 70Gb then this is not going to happen in blink of eye it will definitely take some time.And I think that Time machine is now the most retarded thing. It will create backup until your External drive is not full. There is no way to preference setting to have to control when it deletes the backup.It will be nice if it is possible that you can tell it to delete everything older than P days.