Thread: Plugging in external Firewire audio interface raises temps in 2010 13" MacBook Pro

Plugging in external Firewire audio interface raises temps in 2010 13" MacBook Pro

I was using Macbook Pro (13” Display with 2.5 GHz processor) without any problem until I started using Mackie Onyx Satellite Firewire audio interface with my laptop. When I connect it first time I did not receive any problem. I was using it form last month without any problem but yesterday when I cheked my iStat Pro application, I found my CPU temperature was almost 67 degree Celsius while it was giving just 15 to 25 degree Celsius. iStat Pro is a software which is used to get information about your Macbook. iStat Pro is a highly configurable widget that lets you monitor every aspect of your Mac, including CPU, memory, disks, network, battery, temperatures, fans, load & uptime and processes. iStat Pro can do it all. I made lots of serch on this topic and found that this is popular issue and related to Agere Firewire Chipset. I want to know is there any solution for this issue? Does it create dissimilarity if you utilize a daisy chain setup with an outside hard drive in between the device and the audio interface, or a repeater cable, or something of that scenery?

Re: Plugging in external Firewire audio interface raises temps in 2010 13" MacBook Pro

It’s really difficult to find solution for this kind of device. You just think how many people are possible using same combination and having same problem. But have 65 temperature is not big issue. I always found same temperature when I play games on macbook pro. Have tried for long time to check the last limit of temperature? If you have not then make proper test that what is the last digit of temperature you are getting for long uses of your audio devices. Then I will be able to give you proper solution.

Re: Plugging in external Firewire audio interface raises temps in 2010 13" MacBook Pro

I am not asking this problem for a particular specific Firewire interface, it’s for any Firewire audio interface. i do not want reply for this specialty unit of hardware. I am trying to solve this issue by making chain of hard drive but right now I do not have extra hard drive to make daisy chain. I make these forums that someone will reply a genuine solution for this problem. Not necessary you give replay for Mackie Onyx, laptop can get heat problem from nay device. I want the solution to avoid heat sink problem. If you have solution, then please post it here.

Hey I am known to this same issue but my device is different from yours. I am using Tascam Fireone audio interface with macbook (15” screen MacBook Pro 2009 9400 m) laptop. Every time I am getting very high temperature. Right now I am not worried about this issue but I am not happy with apple who made such heavy laptop and not able to Handel firewire audio interface. User on this thread with their cooling gear and heat solution are not useful because they are just way too overboard. If your computer /laptop are getting hot then security measure will make it shut down after specific limits. I know my temperature is not crossing that limit but if it happens then it will just save my motherboard from heat.

Thinking that this is hypothetical to be a finest, expert machine, I do not actually believe that is an satisfactory answer...if I am annoying to play back a multitasks meeting filled of effects plugging and practical tools that I identify are going to be demanding the CPU anyhow, I am painful with the view of the CPU getting hotter than it can be (by a broad edge, I might add) to start with. It is no console to me if it mechanically shut down--I require it to do what I asked it to do, not fake out and shut off. I button from computer to Macbook because I like OSX to Windows OS and the systems appear to be build satisfactorily in universal mode, but on the another side, mine Dell Inspiron's temperature did not boost by 20 degrees only by inserting Firewire interface plugged into it. If I am not clever to work nearly this matter by taking a hard drive between the PC and the audio interface device, my eagerness for my fresh Macbook Pro is leaving to be harshly surprised.

I am facing the precisely similar problem. I purchased my laptop just last week. I got a very loud inclined sound when working audio via firewire (MOTU Ultralite interface). The region nearly the power provider/ports get tremendously hot too. i am sure that there is not such program running which can produce heat from CPU. Something is as easy as running a single application in itunes triggers the heat up/sound and, after some seconds, the fan. Suppose I have stopped the playback, then noise and fan both will get stop within ten seconds. If I disconnect my interface and start playing a song in itunes via the factory sound devices, get no noise trouble, no heat up. I am looking to see apple services tomorrow. I just ran a comprehensive hardware analytic examination, nothing twisted up there. I am not certain how much help I can receive at service center.