Thread: 2010 MBP, OptiBay+External DVD-RW-Cannot install Windows7 ?

2010 MBP, OptiBay+External DVD-RW-Cannot install Windows7 ?

I have apple’s Macbook pro 2010. I want to install windows 7 on it through bootcamp. But problem is that I am not able to install on it. My laptop has Otibay 500 GB hard disk and working with intel SSD in the real HDD port. I also have external USB 2.0 DVD writer. I am trying to install it from last week but every time I am just receiving grey screen with some error type message. I am using bootcamp to dived my hard drive in two part ( 250 GB each) to install windows 7 via my external DVD writer every time I am getting grey screen which showing one question mark/folder/apple logo on a gray screen. I have also tried rebooting but nothing is able to help me. To get in my MAC OSX I did reset PRAM and it also reset my start up disk. Is anyone has knowledge to solve this problem? If possible then please send me solution as soon as possible. thanks in advance.

Re: 2010 MBP, OptiBay+External DVD-RW-Cannot install Windows7 ?

You should try to use rEFIT software which is used in boot menu. If I am right then I had one broken super drive and did installation of windows 7 last year. I done this via booting install CD from my external USB DVD writer. Thanks to rEFIT who make me capable to complete my process. You can read more about this software from its official website. Normally people use it as maintenance toolkit for EFI machines and Intel Mac is also EFI based machine.

Of course I would like to use this application if it is able to solve my problem. But right now I do not have this application and yesterday I again tried to install this application. I was holding C keyword and it start installation and I was seeing windows 7 installation options but again it got stuck at “ windows is coping your files” at 100%. I am really getting frustration. I am sure that my external DVD writer is ok because I am able to transfer data on Mac OSX . Can you please explain how can I use rEFIT software to solve my problem? Is it costly? Please give your important reply.

Hello everyone here! I have installed rEFIT software on my system and I am also able to use this application but still I am not able to install windows 7 in Macbook pro. I am getting these errors on my screen:
    Code:
    "ERROR: NOT FOUND returned from legacy loader
    ERROR: NOT FOUND from LocateDevicePath

The firmware refused to boot from selected volume"

rEFIT is software which works as boot menu for maintaining toolkit for every EFI based machine and our MAC Intel is also came in this category. It is made to boot more than one operating system simply. it also give an simple method to go into and discover the EFI pre-boot surroundings. Latest version is v0.14 and it is available on various sites. Download rEFIT-0.14 file and store it on your hard drive. Now double click and mount this disk image. Now double click on the “rEFIT.mpkg” package. Chase the orders and choose your Mac OS X installation volume as the target volume for the install.

I am sure, if you are not able to install windows 7 in your Macbook pro via external hard drive then rEFIT cannot solve you issue. Sometimes apple firmware doesn’t support installation form external hard drive. It may happen, but you cannot be sure in very case. And if apple firmware is not supporting the rEFIT will also not support. Booting windows and Linux from external USB DVD writer is not supported by Mac osx firmware. If you will rules for Apple Mac firmware then you will come to know, if you are trying to install windows, then you have to use internal hard drive. I think so it happens because external hard drive needs drivers to work on laptop and when you are doing installation work via bootcamp your drivers are disabled.