Thread: Snow Leopard Optimization for SSD?

Snow Leopard Optimization for SSD?

Hi i am having the the 13" Mac book Pro and have recently purchased the thing here is the i have the Snow Leopard as the operating system and also it is working fine, but now i have just ordered the Intel 160 GB gen2 SSD for the system, But i am not sure whether it will be compatible with the system configuration that i have, So do i have to make any changes Snow Leopard to optimize, when i consult the same thing with my friends then they suggested me to disable the Sudden Motion Sensor in the Terminal before installing the SSD, But i don't know the reason behind it, Please help me in this case and let me know that whether there is a way the will help me to install.l the same without any error, I am just eager to know so that i will be right in the first time or rather i would say that i don't want any kind of risk during the installation.

Re: Snow Leopard Optimization for SSD?

I have gone through your problem or rather i would say it as the concern of yours regarding the system, As mentioned by you that you need the installation of the 160GB Gen2 SSD for your Mac book pro so i guess that you have to alter some of thing of your current system, Here what you have to do is just make some important changes that will set a platform for the 160GB Gen2 SSD, So make sure that you make the following changes:
    • First of all you have to disable Sudden Motion Sensor
    • Then you have to just Uncheck "Put the Hard Disk to sleep when possible", And this you will find in the Energy Saver in System Preferences.
    • Go and visit the official site of apple to know the requirements of it.
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"

It seems to me that you have to disable the sudden motion sensor, and you have to do it at any cost if you fail to do so then you may face some problems while installation, And in case if you don't know how to do it or you are unable to disable the Sudden Motion sensor then here ate the steps that will help ypu to do so:
    • Find the current status of Sudden Motion Sensor:
    • From the Finder's Go menu, choose Utilities.
    • In the Utilities folder, open Terminal.
    • When the command line appears, type sudo pmset -g and press Return.
    • Type in the administrator password when prompted and hit Return. This command queries the computer for the current setting of the Sudden Motion Sensor, which you can determine by locating the ams entry (in Mac OS X 10.3) or the sms entry (in Mac OS X 10.4 and 10.5) and looking to the right to determine its value. The default setting is "1" (turned on).

I think that your friends are wrong in this case because there is no use of disabling the motion sensor, As per my knowledge i don't think that disabling the sudden motion sensor will help you at all, The thing here is that you have to just collect some information about it because I am not sure whether it help you since if it is totally controlled by the operating system and if you are disabling the sudden motion sensor then it will not help your hardware installation that you are planning to do.

It is good that you are trying to upgrade your system with the inlet ssd but do you have any idea that before installing it you have to disable the Sudden motion Sensor also one thing i want to mention here is that if you have to do it for the Mac OS X 10.3, then here are the steps to do it because i have an idea doing it since i have the same system:
    1. The first thing that you have to do is just type sudo pmset -a ams 0 and run the command on the terminal , but make sure that you will set the setting to the Zero disable module.
    2. Then it will ask you to type the administrator password then just type that actual one.
    3. After typing the administrator password it will prompt you a button tht is nothing button RETURN
    4. Then you have to just click on it
    5. After this a new window will be open in that you have to type sudo pmset -g command again and press OK
    6. And later on you make sure that the settings are properly installed.

First of all thank you all of you for considering my problem and also for spending time in finding the solution, But the thing here is that some how i am not able to disable the Sudden motion sensor and also i am not able to figure out what is the problem with it, Also can any one tell me that how can i disable the sudden motion sensor on the Mac OS X 10.5, Please help me in this case and let me know the proper steps to deal wit it.

Here are the steps that will help you to disable the sudden motion sensor in the Mac OS X 10.5 and will enable you to install the Intel sdd, please make sure that you follow all the steps as mentioned:
    • First of all you have to run the sudo pmset -a sms 0 command, you have to runthis command in the terminal.
    • What it will do is just enable you to disable the sudden motion sensor
    • But make sure that before running the command the settings are set to the zero disables the module.
    • Then a window will pop up in that you have to type the the administrator password.
    • And then you have to click in return.
    • Then again a run window will prompt asking for the command then you have to type the sudo pmset -g command .
    • Arter entering the command click on OK.
    • I hope that following these steps will enable you to disable the the sudden motion sensor.