Thread: Macbook - No Sound - Volume control locked

Macbook - No Sound - Volume control locked

Hello...
    I have recently bought a Macbook Pro but have not yet upgraded it to Leopard. Yesterday i plugged in some Creative 2.1 stereo speakers into the headphone jack to better hear my music.. After i connected those stereo speakers to the system it shows only one option in the 'Sound' panel in the system is 'Digital out' and their is nothing like 'built in speakers' option. Whenever I try to play some music or watch any movie etc. there is a red light blinking out of the headphone jack and it shows no sound option. But it works with headphones ... Any help related to this query would be greatly appreciated as it is causing a big headache to me.......
    Thanks in advance..

Re: Macbook - No Sound - Volume control locked

I had the same problem with my macbook... I tried one trick fro solving this problem .. You can see there is a tiny little switch in the socket of the headphone which switches it over to the "optical out" option..That is the reason you see the red light on the headphone jack .. Solution for this is if you take a paperclip and then carefully put that clip into the ,you can trip the switch off.. You can search here for "red light" or "digital out" and then check it further.. I think that you should use wooden toothpick instead of paperclip..And i am sure that i will work.. I hope this information helps you solve the problem related to your macbook...

Their is a step wise solution for this query.. Firstly you should do one thing.. Go to "System preferences".. After that click on "Sound" option... But make sure that the "Input" option is set to "Internal Microphone" and the "Output" option is set to "Internal Speakers".I think this is a better solution for this sound problem as i had the same problem with my macbook but when i tried this out, from that time i am able to hear clear sound... It will help you also, just try it out once...

Hey i think that the problem is with your sound card and not with software of your system.. Because if it would have been any software problem then their would have been some other functional problem with other data or device.. I think the sound card you have installed in your system is been corrupted and so you just need to have your sound card replaced by a new sound card... If it is under warranty then you must go to the service center and ask them for the replacement.. I hope so that they will understand your problem and they will replace it...

I think so the problem is related to the speaker... According to me the analog or the digital switch which is present in the jack is stuck due to some reason.. And because of that this kind of problem may be occurring ..You can try for just plugging in and unplugging it out of your external speakers unless and until the red light goes out.. Just try this out it will surely help you... Or else you can try for tripping the switch off which is present in the jack by simply using the wooden toothpick..It will just switch the red light off... I think this information is sufficient for you..
    Last edited by Florence_USA; 20-10-2010 at 08:14 PM.