Thread: Can you password Protect a Flash Drive?

Can you password Protect a Flash Drive?

I have recently purchased a Flash drive. I have a lot of important data on it and so I would like to password protect this flash drive. I have seen many a times when I leave it on my desk and move away some or the other uses this drive in my absence. This in turn exposes important data to unwanted people which I don't want. I would like to avoid it and so I have decided to password protect this drive. I have heard of the concept where you can protect your portable drives with a password but I don't know if it is possible in case of flash drives. How can you password Protect a Flash Drive?

Re: Can you password Protect a Flash Drive?

You can use TrueCrypt for this purpose. It is a free open-source disk encryption software for Windows 7/Vista/XP, Mac OS X, and Linux. You can encrypt an entire partition or storage device such as USB flash drive or hard drive. The encryption is automatic, real-time (on-the-fly) and transparent. It also provides encryption which can be hardware-accelerated on modern processors. You can even observe that a flash drive can be configured to be automatically mounted whenever its gets connected to the computer.

You can even install StorageCrypt on your flash drive which allows you to encrypt and password protect it. StorageCrypt is a password protection software, which even allows you to encrypt and lock drive. It uses 128 bit AES encryption for maximum security and does not store the password on the removable device. Once encrypted, the removable drive can not be opened on any computer.
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"

Rohos Mini Drive protect USB flash drive with a password by making hidden and encrypted partition on the USB flash drive memory. If you have many private files on the USB drive and want to keep them in secret, you can protect them by a password and strong encryption with Rohos Mini Drive. Refer this guide to know about how to use it: How to Password Protect a Pen Drive ?. And the best part of this is that you doesn’t require Administrative Privileges to open password protected USB drive partition on a guest PC!

If you're running Mac OS X, you can even protect your flash drive without installing anything. All you have to do is create an AES-128 encrypted disk image on your flash drive which is possible with the help of Disk Utility. Once done you can mount the disk image and move the files inside the disk image. This is recommended because the disk image have a POSIX environment which can protect your files in a better way.

You should install your flash drive with Folder Password Expert USB. Search Google for it.