Thread: iPhone 4 32GB Stores 20% and Less Audio Than 3GS 32GB?

iPhone 4 32GB Stores 20% and Less Audio Than 3GS 32GB?

Hello friends....
    I am facing an undisputed problem that I can store a LOT more audio stuff on my 32GB 3GS (on O/S 3.1.3) than I can on my new iPhone 4 32GB. I mean a LOT less ( 20%). I loaded the EXACT same settings, applications and songs into the iPhone 4 using a 3GS backup. It did not make any difference. When I tried to syncronize the first time, it loaded the settings fine until it started to copy the songs over, I got an error message saying there was no enough space to carry out any operation. I was going 3GB short! Yes, I lost 3GB of available audio storage on my iPhone 4 32GB. I cancelled this operation and looked at the total "available" storage capacity of each device. The iPhone 4 was at 29.1GB and the 3GS was at 29.3 - the iPhone 4 obviously reserves slightly more for OS 4, but not significant enough to account for the 3GB less music storage. I thought the error message is a fake message which my iphone is showing, so I loaded my audio, but i could load about 20% less songs than in my 3GS. Please tell me what i can do to overcome this problem.

Re: iPhone 4 32GB Stores 20% and Less Audio Than 3GS 32GB?

Their can be one possible thing that the iOS 4 Apps loaded on your iphone may require larger reserve memory for the graphics? Do you have more Apps now, like iMovie? Is iOS 4 larger? You can just check it into your iphone for this information. I suspect to multi-task, whether you are using the resources or not, are reserved. There could be many possible reasons. Or you dropped it already and broke the memory chip present in your iphone...

See both of the phones have the same capacity for storage. Both the phones use the same chip for the storage purpose. The iOS 4.0 on iPhone 4 takes up more space because it has more features and higher resolution work to take advantage of retina display. So it is obvious, that your iPhone 4 has less user-able space than your 3GS.

Well their was a complaint about 3GB less storage space but in fact its only 200MB less storage capacity in iphone 4 then in the 3GS. So not only does the Operating System take up space but just because a Hard-Drive says that teh storage space is 32GB, does not mean that's exactly the space it will display when completely formatted. So this could be the problem with the iphone 4.

If the phone's storage difference is only 0.2 GB between iphone 3GS and iphone 4, So i have no idea how that is equated to 3 GB difference between them. It could be a number of things such as iTunes 9.2 and iOS4 and iPhone 4 can make the difference.. I would look at the difference in song size. Just check that if you can't compare a song that you had converted before and the same song converted using 9.2 + iOS4. That might be worth looking into. I hope this information will help you..

It can be one possible thing that the iOS 4 Applications which are loaded on your iphone may require larger reserve memory stoarge for the graphics or for some other applications? Does your iphone have more Applications , like iMovie? Is iOS 4 larger than iphone3G? Just check it into your iphone for this information. There could be many possible reasons. Or you dropped it already and broke the memory chip present in your iphone... Due to the memory chip this kind of problems occurs...

Did you check the settings with your previous phone, did you have the convert higher bit-rate songs to 128K AAC box checked? As you said all the settings are the same, but then to just have a look to that settings, that's an easy one to overlook (I didn't realize that I had checked it on my 3GS for a few days ... I could not figure out why it took so long to sync my library, most of which was 320Kbps MP3).