Thread: LAN Cable Length and the Speed of the Internet connection

LAN Cable Length and the Speed of the Internet connection

I just wanted to get confirmed and the best idea I think to get confirmed is to have a discussion on it. I was told by my brother that if we have the longer LAN cable then it will seriously affect the internet connection. Well I do not completely agree with it but if at all it is true then please tell me the length at which the LAN cable will not suffer with this kind of problem. Please give me the fair reply. Thanks in advance.

Re: LAN Cable Length and the Speed of the Internet connection

I think that what your brother is telling is true. I have also seen this and I am also of the same opinion. Well the length of the cable that affects the internet connection is 100 meters. If the length of the cable is more than 100 meters then I am sure that you will suffer from the internet connection problem. I hope that this has cleared the idea from your mind. You will have to completely agree with this.

Ethernet cables are estimated as "channel". All XBaseT networks presume 100m as the maximum physical length of a full `channel'. In addition to all this, channel is projected to be configured with 90m of the horizontal cabling and 10m distributed in two 5m lengths. When we will be testing XBaseT connection on or after a Patch Bay toward a client end, at that time Link Test will be carried out using test connections. This are standardized to play the game parametrically as per the specifications of the IEEE.

Well if you take it theoretically then it is true that the longer the cable the slower the speed.if you see in reality or say practically I have seen no difference in speed if you will go over the 100 meters. Also for that the cable wire should be within the specifications. For an example you can take Cat5 for 100Mbps. At the end I would say that there is no difference if you are using the 1 foot Ethernet cable or 100 feet Ethernet cable. So the conclusion is 1 foot Ethernet Cable = 100 feet Ethernet Cable.

On the basis of the Ethernet cable that you are using the maximum length of the Ethernet cable depends:
    • If it is Gigabit Ethernet then the Speed is 1000Mbps and Maximum Length is 100 Meters
    • If it is Twisted Pair Ethernet then the Speed is 10 Mbps and Maximum Length is 100 Meters
    • If it is Thin Ethernet then the Speed is 10 Mbps and Maximum Length is 185 Meters
    • If it is Thick Ethernet then the Speed is 10 Mbps and Maximum Length is 500 Meters