Thread: Dell Dimension 8400 wont boot up

Dell Dimension 8400 wont boot up

I have encompassed and comprised a dell dimension 8400. When I twist it on the CPU cooling fan comes on and resonance similar to it desires to take off. Nothing else occurs. The monitor stays black. Further to this tribulations. I checkered the power supply by means of a multimeter and it seems to be superior. The entire the recommended voltages were where they be supposed to have been. The four lights on the back A B C D are the entire off. The 3 lights on the keyboard flash on and off when I twist it on. Be able to somebody out there please assist.

Re: Dell Dimension 8400 wont boot up

I might not do that. I not be able to even get to the CMOS list of alternatives as there is not anything on the monitor. As I supposed in the beginning the entire that occurs is that the CPU cooling fan runs nothing else. Let me guess the brightness on the power button in addition stays a fixed yellow/amber. If so, your system is demonstrating the EXACT similar symptoms as my 8400 immediately started demonstrating on recent day. Frequently, if it was the PSU, the power light would be blinking yellow/amber as an alternative of being stable on. Subsequent to doing a number of reading at the Dell forums, I am attractive certain it's the mobo that's died, so in view of the fact that excavation is out of warranty, I went ahead and ordered an OEM replacement from a 3rd party and it be supposed to arrive most recently.

Well, regrettably, replacing the mobo did not seem to run. I was precautious to the point that subsequent to putting in the innovative mobo, the merely 2 things I put on it previous to powering up were the CPU and the CPU fan. The consequence was the similar - the power LED was stable yellow/amber, the CPU fan spooled up to hyperspeed, no HD movement or video output, and the 4 position LED's on the back of the case did not light up at the entire. So, I did not inconvenience concerning no matter which else.

Immediately for additional information in sequence, I did not have comprised several indications of overheating or smoke or several additional tribulations. I had immediately started playing a game and the whole thing froze on the screen and in view of the fact that nothing else was running, I powered off. I twisted it back on and it did boot up and I was capable to log onto XP, additional than immediately as it got to the desktop, it froze the entire in excess of again. I turned it off and back on, additional than this time the screen stayed dark, the CPU fan went into hyperspeed, and power button stayed stable yellow/amber and that was it no HD movement and the 4 status LED's on the back of the case by no means came on.

The extremely first fixation I did was eliminate the Radeon X800 XL card I would been using for in excess of a year and put back in the X300 that came by means of the system, additional than that perceptibly did not run. I then started eliminating/disconnecting substance one-by-one, trying to power up in between every time, and perceptibly that did not work moreover. That's when I started checking the forums and consideration that replacing the mobo would run. In any case, I have in view of the fact that inspected the original mobo and there are not several outward physical signs of no matter which being burnt out. The capacitors are not bulging and there are not several dark spots on the back side of the board.

Immediately bring up to date it turns out my tribulations was the CPU. I was capable to borrow a P4 530 (3.0 GHz) and placed it in by means of the "new" mobo I had bought and the system fired up extremely well. I took a chance (in view of the fact that it was a borrowed CPU) and put the CPU in the innovative mobo and it in addition worked there. So, I went ahead and purchased a P4 541 (3.2 GHz by means of EM64T technology) and I have comprised and put that it in the innovative mobo and the whole thing is running extremely well. I have in addition went ahead and replaced the original 350W PSU by means of the Silencer 470W that I had, even though that required a number of modification to the rear of the tower to accommodate the AC outlet which is beneath the opening for the OEM PSU.