Thread: 3G iPhone GPS?

3G iPhone GPS?

I have bought new iPhone 3G and i would love to know more about iPhone's GPS service. Actually i have read it somewhere that the A-GPS is a service which combines the 3G connection and/or wifi to triangulate your location which is in fact not fast a compare to the real GPS unit. So can you guys tell me that which GPS is used in an iPhone.

Re: 3G iPhone GPS?

The iPhone 3G is a 3G +. More specifically, it is quad (850 , 900 , 1800 , 1900 MHz ) GSM , EDGE and tri-band (850 , 1900 , 2100 MHz ) UMTS , HSDPA. Who can use it abroad without asking any questions. Interestingly , the system the iPhone 3G may disable management of 3G in software to further improve its overall autonomy. It has no camera front for video.

Its chip GPS is A- GPS and comes from the American Global - Locate, acquired last year by the chipmaker Broadcom. If it's good news in itself, it must qualify as there is at this time no GPS navigation software for the new iPhone . For now , only Google Maps will be used for geo- located in real time on a map. What was already possible to be done by triangulating cell and / or WiFi on the iPhone today. Note nonetheless that a function of geolocation automatic of photos taken by the NPC of the terminal is now integrated .

GPS is an option that I've been waiting a while. In addition we are entitled to an A -GPS , not GPS. The A -GPS can locate the phone within seconds , sending data GSM to a server that aid positioning, unlike GPS which tries to locate only the satellites , method much slower. The article seems rather negative. I think an apple have made a mistake by providing this A-GPS.

Who have a little trouble realizing how can operate the GPS chip the iPhone with software Google Maps , summarizing the basic principles of GPS navigation with the iPhone. Unlike dedicated devices , the PND ( Personal Navigation Device) , no sweet voice will come to say that we must turn right after a hundred meters and driving directions will initially than visual. Some, like TomTom, prepare however, the development of dedicated applications, designed to come replace Google Maps. No doubt will try they to get closer to solutions found on commercial GPS.

It's just there need an internet connection to operate your GPS on iPhone , even if you have tomtom or navigon or others. The proof is the in airplane mode and try to you locate your tomtom , you never get it. Throw your tomtom after resetting the stats of connection ( data received and data sent ) and you will see that there was an exchange of data. So if you use your tomtom abroad you will have to pay an exchange of information outside of your package.

Yes , the GPS of the iPhone 3G can operate without connection , I do personally the test by running it without the sim card, but it must have app like Navigon (very good GPS with 3D) Navionics ( charts ), we may even now be in the shade TomTom. The GPS of the iPhone does not need to connect to the network with google map or plan as the cards are not pre - loaded into the iphone and this requires a transfer data .