Thread: Audio problem on Dimension 4500

Audio problem on Dimension 4500

Dell Dimension 4500, I do not know why but there is no audio coming out of this laptop. I do not find any specific reason for this, but I know that there is something wrong with stuff. I would like to tell you all that I have an integrated audio card viz. ADI 1885 for the laptop. I can see Multimedia Audio Controller in the Device Manager, but it is present with a yellow question mark over it. Can you all here please suggest me what I should do to get rid of this thing.

Re: Audio problem on Dimension 4500

You have mentioned that in the Device Manager you can see Multimedia Audio Controller, but it is having a yellow question mark, then in this case I think you need to restore the drivers from. Please while restoring use the CD that was provided to you when you purchased the laptop as it will properly diagnose the problem. Try this and see if this helps you in rectifying the problem. Also if you want you can download the drivers from the official website of Dell and try.
    In The Absence Of Light
    Darkness Prevail's

Your query is somewhat incomplete. I would be really pleased if you can please give us all here a well detailed explanation of the problem that you are suffering from and the description (or say specification) of the laptop. Also please tell me what is the operating system that you are using on the laptop? Sometimes operating system also plays a role for causing problems. As Windows 7 is out it has come out with lot of incompatibility issues. Well let us know.
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"

If you are using Windows XP then I would like to tell you that I have seen 198X as the only integrated sound driver that has been listed for the Dell 4500 and Windows XP. I would suggest you to go and look for the status in the Device Manager. Check whether it shows an error or it shows working properly. If you find that it is working properly then uninstall it and restart the PC. After the PC restarts I am sure that Windows will detect it and reinstall the sound.

I have come up here to ask you some questions so that we can help you as it was already mentioned but I would still like to add some more questions to the kitty. First of all what was the problem that caused you to start with? Have you in any case done reinstallation of Windows? If you did then I think that you must have forgotten the Intel (motherboard) chipset drivers. The Intel chipset drivers must be installed before installing the sound drivers. Please have a look for that.

Thanks for all the valuable replies; however, nothing seemed to work in my favor at all. I am totally disappointed about all this failures. Yes I am using Windows XP and not Windows 7, so I do not think that compatibility is the issue in this case. Also I did not reinstall the Windows XP. I am not sure but I think that the audio controller was uninstalled when the sound problem could not be solved. I would, in addition to all this, like to know about the Intel chipset driver(s).

When the sound will get installed, I am sure that the Multimedia Audio Controller will go away. If you want you can download the chipset drivers from the official site of the Dell, or if you want you can download it directly by clicking here. While downloading do not use the Dell Download Manager, as problems have been reported for it. Install the chipset driver and then restart the PC. After this you can install the Sound Drivers.