Thread: Update your phones firmware yourself

Update your phones firmware yourself

N95, from Nokia, that is the mobile phone that I am using at this moment. I have not spent much time with it, but I want to upgrade the firmware of it. The problem is that I am really new to this business and I need someone’s help to help me out with this. I want to do this because it is causing me some problems and I want to get rid of it. Can anyone here can give me guide or can suggest me some steps so that I can successfully get this done.

Re: Update your phones firmware yourself

Firmware is very important part of the mobile phone. If you want to go for updating the firmware then you really need be careful while doing that. Also it is advisable that you go for the update only if the mobile is causing you some serious trouble. If not let it be with the current version. Some time it may happen that instead of getting something better we get caught with a major problem. Be careful while doing the update.

You have asked for the steps for updating the firmware of your mobile phone so here it is, just follow them and make way for the updates to come to your mobile. You will have to update using the PC.
    • First of all make sure that you have all these requirements: PC should have internet connection and at least 256MB RAM. The operating system running on it should be Windows 2000 or higher. The mobile that you are going to connect it to should be fully charged. Most important thing compatible Nokia USB connection cable
    • After all the requirements have been fulfilled you need to backup all the data of the mobile phone. You will have to backup both the memory card and phone memory.
    • Now, after the data is successfully saved you will have to download Nokia Software Updater. At the moment just save the software to the disk.
    • Now when you are finished with saving the software then you need to install it. The install wizard will guide you for the installation.
    • After the installation you can update the firmware of the mobile phone byconnecting your phone to your PC using the Nokia USB cable. The Nokia Software Updater will direct you to update the phone software.

Tell me if this helped.

Thanks for this wonderful description regarding the steps that I need to follow. I am really pleased with this solution. I will definitely try this and see if it worked. I will post son if the trick works. However I am little worried as I have read what Carlos16 has told. Can you please assure me that there will be nothing wrong with these steps? If not that can you tell me if I can reverse the process to get my phone back to the initial state?

The steps that I have given are an official solution that Nokia would give. I was having the problem with the firmware of Nokia and I wanted to update it. For that I went and asked the help of them and they gave me the steps, which worked for me. They ensured that if all the things are done properly then nothing wrong will happen with this thing. Also they ensured that the effect can be reversed without any problem.

I would suggest you only one thing, if you are going with the update of the firmware of the mobile then please keep patience while doing that. Since it may happen that it may take long to get updated it will all depend on the internet speed. You will have to take care that the cable Is not removed while the update process is in progress. The most important thing that the battery of the mobile should be fully charged, it should not get switched off during the updates.

While you will be upgrading the Nokia software there may be some cases that the service provider might obstruct you from doing the update for the mobile phone. However you can do it in a simple manner, all you need to do is type *#0000# on the phone to get a detailed description of the phone, so that you can check what is the model number of the phone or which is the current version of the software on the phone. After checking this you will be able to decide if that software is needed or not.