Thread: Replacing DVD Drive with Bluray in New Z

Replacing DVD Drive with Bluray in New Z

I encompassed the new Z model VPCZ117GG. And regrettably for my region it did not come by means of a Bluray drive and I consumed no excellent of customization as well. My version or description is the one by means of the Full HD screen,256GB SSD and 8GB Ram. I am wondering if it's probable to replace the DVD drive by means of a bluray drive. I be familiar with this determine to void warranty, additional than I determine to be doing it subsequently my warranty expires. Be able to I actually do that. If so where be able to I order the part from.

Re: Replacing DVD Drive with Bluray in New Z

I would affection to add a Blu Ray to my VPCZ11CGX/X on the other hand the Blu Ray's in our Z are turpentine and I do not imagine they are obtainable yet. Additional than I too am interested in this. Optimistically 6 months down the road or so they be able to purchase one from side to side parts right at present I might not justify the $500.00 asking price. Not certain if the Blu Ray determine to ever be made obtainable additional than they be able to always anticipate remember this is a Proprietary Blu Ray.

The bluray drive for the preceding model give the impression to be even additional luxurious over and done with Sony parts than it was to purchase it CTO. Sony charge $1,000 for the previous model bluray drive. The UJ232A that was used in the preceding model tranquil commands quite a price tag subsequently 2yrs.I have encompassed and not seen an OEM UJ242A drives yet. They might start cropping up soon additional than they might not. It might be a long at the same time as that you observe secondhand drives start retailing for under the $400 mark.

Stimulatingly I had immediately installed the supposed UJ-242A drive (a Lenovo Serial Ultrabay Slim Blu-ray P/N: 45N7459). Requirement particular work on mounting additional than no big deal. Even the faceplate fits seamlessly. In additional it works well beneath Win 7 and supports DL DVD. Does Z present a weight saver to replace the visual drive if one does not utilize the drive extremely often. Are there several notebooks obtainable at retail at MicroCenter or BestBuy those characteristics the UJ-232 or UJ242A.

I be certain of its closer to 7mm. Going to the expedient manager, I have encompassed and noticed that together the DVD and BD-ROM drives expiration in the (AS) suffix. From what I be able to tell, Sony uses a insignificant chassis in the 'AS" vs "A" designations. Looking at pictures, in addition popping off the top on the UJ-232A or 242, might create certain to swap out the drive mechanism and circuit boards.

Give pleasure to do be cautious you requirement a 9mm drive (and you necessity to take the cover off for the reason that the new Z merely have from place to place 7mm space for the drive), and create certain it be able to read the dual-layer(50GB) BD disc(most of the BD movie you be able to purchase are BD50 excepting China), the UJ242AS is the original model on new Z, the UJ242, UJ242A & UJ242AS are the similar immediately create certain it is BD50. Simply this model be able to be completely function on the new Z (UJ232 be able to fit it additional than the bezel does not fit & the Eject button on the keyboard did not run).

I had purchased a Z12 a couple of weeks previously without a Bluray drive (the alternative is not yet obtainable in my country). I had order for it. I had in addition got it. For the reason that the drive is used the shipment was marked as having a retail price of $35, so it did not cost me several taxes to import it. The drive was simple sufficient to install, immediately had to purchase some appropriate screwdrivers first. The whole thing is running nicely; the faceplate from the innovative DVD drive fits absolutely and the eject button on the keyboard works by means of it.