Thread: Internal Hard Drive 32MB vs 64MB cache? SATA 3 vs SATA 2?

Internal Hard Drive 32MB vs 64MB cache? SATA 3 vs SATA 2?

I am looking to buy one cache hard drive and one of my friends suggested me two choices, 64 MB cache hard drive (7200 RPM 64 MB Cache SATA 6.0GB per seconds Price is $90) and 32 MB Cache hard drive (7200 RPM 32 MB Cache SATA 3.0GB per second and price is $87).here I see both have same RPM speed. What is the exactly meaning of 64 MB and 32 MB hard drive? I mean to say that what is the exact difference between 64 MB and 32 MB cache hard drive? What is the difference between SATA2.o and SATA 3.0? I am making on new computer and works on my computer are bluray/HD and playing games like star-craft 2 and regular stuff. The cost difference is not more but if they do not make any big difference then I will chose 32 MB cache memory?

Re: Internal Hard Drive 32MB vs 64MB cache? SATA 3 vs SATA 2?

Cache memory is used to reduce the average time to get access on memory. It is used by central Processing Unit (CPU). The is very small and fast memory which is utilize to store data from main memory. This frequent data instead of going to RAM it goes to cache hard drive directly and it almost 1000 times faster than RAM. Cache memory is divided by three categories L1, L2 and L3. L1 is very small amount of DATA and very fast also, L2 is slightly larger than L1 and it is slightly slower also and L3 cache is largest and slowest also to perform. What you see is probably L3 Cache. Normally faster hard drive does not make too much difference in your type work and for your uses 32 MB will be good choice
    In The Absence Of Light
    Darkness Prevail's

Speed of rotation is very fast means 7200 RPM is almost same as HDD is spinning. SATA 3 can transfer 6 GB per sec while SATA 2 can transfer 3GB per sec. this data transfer is very good but until your motherboard can handle it. So the difference of data transfer will not make big difference because I am sure that your motherboard will not be able to make any difference with such speed. I will chose 32 MB for my computer because it will be more than enough for my requirements.
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"

What you think that SATA 3 is good for your regular hard drive? No way dears. Here only newest and most costly SSD can utilize complete bandwidth of this SATA2 and only biggest and handful system can utilize SATA3. And I am sure 98% personal computer for gaming and office uses will not be able to occupy full bandwidth of SATA2. On our computer read and write speed is very low as compare to these SATA 2 and SATA 3. But if you have only two option SATA 2 and SATA 3 then I will advise you SATA 2 because it is cheaper and enough to handle you data transfer speed.

I do not think so that there will be any big difference in performance due to the size of cache size itself. But sometime a big cache has other developments (like as denser platters) which outcome in improved performance. Therefore 32 MB will be more than enough for our uses and here SATA 3 or SATA 2 will not be able to make any difference. But still I will advice you just check the reviews for that particular component that you are going to use as ur Cache hard drive

If you have only two choices then do not waste you money on SATA 3 at all. Latest drivers are not capable to utilize the full bandwidth of SATA 2 and do not imagine about SATA3. Save your money. Honestly I do not feel that SATA 3 drive are really SATA 3 drive because here no processor available to compare between SATA 2 and SATA 3.i am sure that those peoples are just rebranded there SATA 2 cable sin to SATA 3 cables

What is the main benefits in SATA3 is , it has huge cache memory and which debatably make the performance gains seen in benchmark versus the real difference in the interface means SATA2 vs SATA3. If you are really planning to use SATA 3 then I will advise you to increase your motherboard up to that level, to utilize SATA 3 6GB/Sec transfer speed properly otherwise it will be waste of money. Some of motherboard support RAID on the SATA 2 but do not support SATA 3 controller. And finally, SATA 3 is better in performance until you have that level of motherboard otherwise use SATA 2.