Thread: LG DVD drive (ide) vs Sony DVD driver (Sata)?

LG DVD drive (ide) vs Sony DVD driver (Sata)?

I am planning to assemble one new PC for me. I am very clear for every computer parts but have some confusion about DVD writer. In my budget I have two choices, LG DVD Drive and Sony DVD Drive. Price is almost same and affordable for me but I am confused for their feature. Here difference is speed and the connectivity. Currently I am not looking for speed but I am concern about this connectivity cable. Both DVD Drive has different cable SATA and IDE. What is the difference between these two connectivity cables and which one is better choice for me? Also suggest better DVD writer for me?

Re: LG DVD drive (ide) vs Sony DVD driver (Sata)?

Yes dear SATA is better than IDE in speed. It is much faster as compare to your LG DVD Drive IDE cable. But its new technology and some older computer do not support SATA controller on the motherboard. My opinion is an external USB 2.0 DVD drive because it does not create extra wait burner on your PC and it’s much faster as compare to ur given options. But it’s little bit more costly. It has two USB port to attach with your computer system and it requires no power cable. You should look Samsung 8x tray, external DVD drive. Its price is around $40.00. And the manual disc eject function can let the disc ejected even when the power is off!

I will also like speed of my DVD writer because if it has good speed then it will write data faster on DVD and VCDs. If DVD drive has good speed than it also help in pushing data inside your computer. I have experienced both SATA and IDE in my computer. And you know I faced more problems with SATA drive. I want to give you one free advice that is you should not compromise with your DVD Drive because good speed will help you to improve your performance.

1. :- IDE is very old connectivity in today’s technology and one day it will be disappear like floppy is the part of history. For example LPT is the port is only for wire up and it’s not the part of legacy. Now people are looking for SATA 6 and USB 3.0 and all their older (LPT and IDE) will be gone from our system like floppy drive. So if you want my real opinion then I will go with SATA DVD drive and its speed will also be very good. Since we know SATA is much faster than IDE then SATA DVD drive will also give you good writing speed.

Hey I want to tell you that never go for Sony DVD drive. I was using one Sony DVD Drive and it gave me lots of trebles. It was opening only high quality DVD languages. So if you will buy Sony DVD drive then you will not be able to open all DVDs. Right now I am using one Asus DVD drive and its working fine. And about IDE and SATA cable then I will suggest you SATA and nowadays you will see only SATA DVD writers.

1. The SATA cable also known as Serial ATA cables are only seven pins broad while IDE Ribbon Cable has 40 pins. The SATA cables are also longer then the ribbon cables (some up to 1m) which create them more helpful in big cases. The PATA or IDE cables are only 45cm extended and can connect two hard drives to the motherboard while the SATA cable connects only one hard drive to the motherboard. The next step in IDE vs SATA is to work out the data transfer speeds. IDE (PATA) transfers data from the speeds of 5MB/sec up to 133MB/Sec (ATA100/133). SATA however data transfer speeds range from 150MB/sec to SATA II which twice to 300MB/sec.

In outline of SATA vs IDE, the SATA cable is slighter, quicker and therefore superior. It can go further than an IDE cable and will also decrease the obstacle to air cooling which IDE cables can add to. The cables also transfer data a lot quicker (more vital if you have 2 or more hard drives) and are easier to install since there are no jumpers. The only downfall of the SATA is that they simply fall out of their positions and that you can only have one drive per cable.

I will suggest you SATA DVD drive because it is a much new technology in HDD category. IDE speed is very less as compare to SATA. Data pushing power of SATA is almost double from IDE. So it will help to DVD drive to write or push data fast as compare to IDE and will save you time and will also increase the life of DVD drive lenses. Via SATA cable you will be able to open high DVDs in less time. Bu I see one drawback that you can use one data source with SATA cable at a time. While IDE you can connect you hard disk DVD drive together.