Thread: Camcorder MiniDV vs flash vs hard drive.

Camcorder MiniDV vs flash vs hard drive.

I am willing to make a short film. For this purpose i want to by a video camera. I want the information about the camera. I would like a hard drive, just because it seems more convenient and has less moving part. Some people have suggested me to by a camcorder, but i am bit confused because i not able to choose the best from the hard drive, mini DVD and the flash drive camcorder. Will you suggest which one is best for buying?

Re: Camcorder MiniDV vs flash vs hard drive.

What i feel is that hard drive camcorders have good recording capacity, but their image quality tends to be poor, and they usually use a format like advanced video coding high definition or MPEG-2 which cannot easily be edited, except using the limited special purpose software supplied, which is invariably only usable on Windows. So you try out either MiniDV or the flash one.

I have used the MiniDV and it is nice one. It is have the boundary in picture quality and even there is a lot of software available for editing its picture, but it can be inconvenient and there can be sound quality issues from the rotary mechanisms in the camcorder. They are also susceptible to damage from dust, moisture, and many more things. For you i will suggest Panasonic's 3CCD camcorders, which usually gets very good reviews.

Till now there are not as many flash memory camcorders being developed. So in this field Sanyo is the main contender. I have a Sanyo Xacti HD2 at my home. It is very small and convenient to use. It is having the image quality better than my old MiniDV camcorder. I am also able to open the MPEG-4 files straight from the memory card for the purpose of previewing and sorting. So if you personally ask to me then i will tell you to buy a Sanyo Xacti HD2.

I feel that MiniDV tape is still the strongest of the consumer video formats because of the following reasons-
    1) MiniDV is supported by practically every editing program ever created, but HD is supported by practically every HD editing program.
    2) No need to "clear space" in order to record new video, just pop your old tape out and put in a new one and if want then keep your old one for future reference and for future video capture/re-capture.
    Hope this has helped you a bit.

I think that i have got the right answer for the question which i have asked to you all. Looking at all the advices i think that i need to by the MiniDV camcorder. As the majority of you are going for the MiniDV camcorder. It also seems to have a good feature and is easy to use. Also its performance is looking good. So i give my thanks to all those who have spend their precious time in giving me the reply.