Thread: Laptop power saver vs high performance

Laptop power saver vs high performance

Hi all on this forums, I have a doubt in my mind and I want to clear that doubt here. I have heard that if I set my laptop on power saver then it consumes more CPU and RAM and other stuff of it and overloads the computer and if I set it on high performance then it uses less CPU, RAM and other stuff. I am not very sure about that is why I want to ask you people here and I hope that you must have idea about this.

Re: Laptop power saver vs high performance

No I don't think so. I think you are talking exactly opposite to the fact that it uses less CPU when it is on high performance. High performance means your computer is working harder to accomplish the task and if it is working hard that means it will need more amount of USB. I don't know that from where you have got this opposite idea and I think this post will will help you to get out of this confusion.
    In The Absence Of Light
    Darkness Prevail's

If you are setting your laptop to high performance then it is logical thing that it will improve the performance of your laptop and for that it will definitely consumes more amount of CPU. But setting it to high performance it will harm the laptops battery and may reduce the battery life. I think you should set it to high performance if you want to run the heavy application.
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"

If you are setting it to power saver then you will find that it is giving low performance then the performance it was giving before it was not set to Power saver. When it is in power saver mode it simply throttles back the CPU speed. If you are not using the the laptop for a period of time then it will turn off the screen automatically and enter into the sleep mode to save the power consumption.

if you are using the laptop power saver mode or using the high performance it will use the same amount of RAM. Your computer will also dim the backlight. Actually LCD backlighting draws about 35% of power. So Dimming the LCD backlighting will save the power. I hope this will give you give you some idea about both of them.

Power saver helps to improve the battery life but reduce the performance of computer. You can balance tends to change the performance of computer like if you are just sitting idle on your computer then you computer will basically turned down a few notches. This will save the power of your computer. High performance will make your battery dry. If your computer is plugged in then only I would like to recommend you this.

There are three different power plans that Microsoft added to Vista and this is very nice thing. And if you desire then it also provide you the ability to create your own power plan. In any operating system comes with power saver, balanced and with a high power performance plan. Most of the people don’t like to change balanced plane which comes as default with Microsoft.

I have tested Vista's balanced power plan and high performance on two different machines and I found that high performance is beated by Vista's balanced power plan. You would except it to very close because the balanced plan is supposed to kick up performance according to need. It beat the high performance in each test. This is the only time when you should switch to balanced option if you are using high performance power plan.