Thread: Hard drive not getting detected in imac m6498

Hard drive not getting detected in imac m6498

I purchased a used imac model m6498. It’s a g4 I think; the dome 15" model. I was informed by a gentleman at an apple store that he thought the hard drive was deteriorating. I replaced the hard drive and at this instant when I turn the computer on it go unswervingly to a gray screen with a miniature file folder image in the middle. The file blinks between a face and a question mark. The cursor does not show up on this screen. I have tried booting from the gray iMac OS 9 and OS 10 restore CDs but no success. I even got it to boot via target USB to an old ibook--the iMac showed the target screen but the ibook did not show it as an external drive like I consider it should. Other than that, I don't know what to do. Does this sound like a familiar quandary? Are there chances that there is something wrong with the motherboard? Please provide some solutions for my problem.

Re: Hard drive not getting detected in imac m6498

The file folder is standard for a innovative drive - you require to format the new drive and install an OS. Have you formatted your drive before using.? It would be better if you illustrate what you did in more detail. When you put in the OSX restore CD, held down "C" and pushed the power button, what happened? (Keep in mind that booting from CD is dawdling, and you need to hold C at least until you sees the Apple logo on the screen). There is no such thing as "Target USB" - it's Firewire. Since, you can see the yellow icon on the screen, have you installed everything properly.?

Nothing happened with the CD, the machine seemed like it was restoring up to do incredible but still went to the screen with the file. I held the C button from as almost immediately as I heard the musical sound until that point. I know there's no such thing as target USB--I wanted to do target firewire but was not at home and did not have a firewire cable versatile, so I tried with a USB cord just for kicks. The iMac still showed the target firewire screen with the yellow icon vigorous around, but the iBook did not identify it. I comprehend this could be because of the USB; I was trying to make it clear that I didn't do the target generally (or possibly appropriately) although I still got an answer. From some other things I've read on here, I'm speculating if my CDs are the erroneous ones for something like this. They say iMac, but some other things I've read are making me think perchance I need the black INSTALL DVDs with the silver X's. Will restore discs work, or do I require genuine install discs due to the fact that this is a new-fangled hard drive?

Obviously the restore discs will work - what you've possibly read is that they only work for one scrupulous model but they will still boot any Mac - you get observe untimely in the install process saying it's the erroneous or incorrect model. I'm inquisitive - how did you connect two Macs with a USB cable? The ends aren't companionable.

Did the iMac boot appropriately previous to you started working on it? If not, what did it do? Have you tried inserting the original drive back in the iMac? Those "dome" iMacs are predominantly complicated to work on. By the way, if it's truly the M6498, that should be a 17" screen (according to MacTracker), not the 15". I think that you should be referring to the side of the dome for the model number. Am I right? More MacTracker info for the M6498: shipped with OS 9.2.2 and OS X 10.1.5 to 10.2 (depending on the day it rolled off the assembly line).

I know there's no such thing as target USB--I wanted to do target firewire but was not at home and did not have a firewire cable versatile, so I tried with a USB cord just for kicks. The iMac still showed the target firewire screen with the yellow icon vigorous around, but the iBook did not identify it.
    The reaction was for the reason that the iMac (or whatever computer you booted while holding down the 'T' key) was in FireWire Target Disk Mode. The computer being in that mode doesn't depend on having a FireWire cable connected to that computer. The rationale that you couldn't attach to it from an additional computer in FireWire Target Disk Mode is, of course, since you weren't connected over a FireWire cable. But the computer was appropriately in FWTDM.