Thread: Does Skype work with Wifi on an AT&T Samsung Captivate

Does Skype work with Wifi on an AT&T Samsung Captivate

Actually I am having problem with the Samsung Galaxy S. The problem with this is it is now not available to me unlocked. Now I am altogether planning to go for a second hand Samsung Captivate. Now I am wondering if Skype is working with Wi-Fi on an AT&T locked device. I can not jump to the conclusion, regarding the Wi-Fi part of it. It works for sure with the payed data, but I am not sure about the Wi-Fi. Has any one ever tried using Skype with Wi Fi on a Captivate?

Re: Does Skype work with Wifi on an AT&T Samsung Captivate

I have had the Samsung Captivate with me not for much days. In those days I have done a lot of research on it. Unfortunately for I have came up with the conclusion that Skype is not available for this device which you were talking about. Actually AT and T has locked it down, you can only install applications and nothing more can be done from the marketplace.

OK,all of you here I have something that you all must be interested in. Actually Skype is currently available for Verizon Androids and Droids. So you all do not need to worry about it. So, I guess that Skype is not yet available for the Samsung Galaxy S. Skype actually signed a contract, because of which Verizon got exclusive rights. For you, you can use Skype on Verizon's version of the Galaxy S, but I fear for some other version. I think that we can not do anything in this matter as it is totally a business issue and not a technical issue.

Thanks for the response, and thank you very much for the clarification of the issue that it is not a technical but totally a business issue. I was totally unaware of this business deal. Just to get the clarification, do you mean that Skype is not yet available for the Samsung Galaxy S that I purchased? Can, you please tell me if there is another VOIP application available on the Android store? Thanks a lotv again for the clarification.

I think that I will have to do some kind of R&D before suggesting you the other VOIP. For the time being I would suggest you to go with Fring. Well I am not that sure about this, as I have not researched any-other VOIP software yet. I want to suggest you not worry much about this, Google will soon releases a mobile version of their Google VOIP service. Though it is going to be an annoying wait, but I don't think it will be too long. Keep patience, that is what I would suggest you at this moment.