Thread: Sager NP8690 Heat

Sager NP8690 Heat

Me and one of my friend bought Sager NP8690 laptop. I will not list the entire thing about that here, but it was having both i7 620M, ATI mobility Radeon HD 5870, and it was also with thermal paste. We have noticed that it getting little bit hotter nowadays at work time. My GPU was on 90 degree temperature. And my friend has also said that he was also facing this overheat problem. Despite, it looks from every my benchmarks that my computer heats up earlier and has a superior maximum temperature. I flashed my BIOS and also have formatted my machine but it is not showing any help.i have some queries about this problem. How is HWmonitor? It looks little strange that every part in my computer idles somewhat overheat and that both our computers facing same problem at the same time. What should I do if my laptop or computer is getting heat? And if someone has similar laptop then plz tells what temperature you are getting? And also my temp has been changed when I reformatted?

Re: Sager NP8690 Heat

You both bought the same laptop with same configuration at same time and now it looks very strange that both are facing same problem at same time. By the way I use my same laptop for office work and sometimes for gaming and till now I am not getting any overheating problem. I use to play lots of game s like NFS and Crysis and yesterday I played for three hours and I did not noticed any overheating problem and my maximum temperature was 73 degrees C. I think so something is wrong with your laptop cooling system like your fan. You should clean your fan from dust and also change that thermal paste. It will help you from all these problem.

What graphic card your are using with your computer? You should try nvidia GTX 280M so you will see different temperature on your machine and it will be lower. I have read somewhere that graphic card nvidia 5870M gets more temperature. So you machine temperature also depend that which graphic card your are using. So try to upgrade your graphic card and also update your drivers. I have also cleaned my heat sin and fan. I will advise you to change the thermal paste if you can.

Sorry for the entire problem you are facing with your laptop. But how can I help you when I am also facing the same problem with my same laptops? But I think that I will be able to solve the overheating problem applying some thermal techniques. I want to apply my new thermal paste on my CPU and GPU on my laptop with windows i7 620m and also with ATI Radeon HD 5870. What thermal paste I should paste and where?

It’s normal to get overheating on laptop when you play games on it. But it’s not a very big and destroyed problem on your problem. You can get over from this problem by using some upgraded graphic card and driver. You can apply thermal paste to get away from it. I use Arctic Cooling MX-3 thermal paste and it’s very good. And there are also some other good option to use like IC Diamond, Shin-Etsu X-23, I know if it thermal problem then u will get surely solution.

I never use this laptop for games. I only use my software for programming software like DReamwear and Visual studio 2008 and my laptop sometimes show me lower speed. It has core i7 820 processor and normally its works good but some time it get slow and show little bit heat also. One of my friends told me that I should try to upgrade this laptop. Now I am looking to get more performance to avoid this entire problem. I am asking here that which application or BIOS hacks are available that will do this job. I have searched for this on google several times but I have nothing about it. Plz help here?

Yes you can upgrade your performance to getting god performance also to get over from overheat problem. Firstly if you have gaming problem of overheating then the simplest way is to go to the nvidiia site and try to make a configuration and find a really match for your requirement and will solve your problem. And for you normal software programming like on Visual studio, you should try to upgrade you RAM and I am sure that it will solve your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Christina 80 View Post
    What graphic card your are using with your computer? You should try nvidia GTX 280M so you will see different temperature on your machine and it will be lower. I have read somewhere that graphic card nvidia 5870M gets more temperature. So you machine temperature also depend that which graphic card your are using. So try to upgrade your graphic card and also update your drivers. I have also cleaned my heat sin and fan. I will advise you to change the thermal paste if you can.
    The GTX 280 isn't an upgrade from the 5870, it's a downgrade. You get more power consumption, far worse performance, and no DX11. If you're having heat issues, I recommend opening up the machine, reapplying thermal paste, and making sure the fans and heatsinks are clean. My brother and I have the same laptop (same as yours) and my CPU gets a little hotter than his, no two computers are alike, so just get your heat to a reasonable point and be happy with it. My GPU seems to stick around 83, though I know it could get hotter and I'm in relatively low ambient temps. Get your hands on some Arctic MX-3, reapply the thermal compound and see what happens.