Thread: Options to reduce Lenovo ThinkPad T410 fan noise?

Options to reduce Lenovo ThinkPad T410 fan noise?

I have got a new laptop as my birthday gift which has an i540 card. This laptop is just good to use and i never faced any overheating issue on this but i guess the cooling fan of this laptop makes some hard noise. Any suggestions to reduce the fan noise on this laptop? Or am i just feeling like batman who can hear even a tiny voice.

Re: Options to reduce Lenovo ThinkPad T410 fan noise?

The flow of air between the wires and components of PC can also cause noise. It is therefore interesting to organize (store) inside the PC to promote good air circulation while minimizing noise. Finally, vibrations are also a source of noise, so you should check that the internal components are secure (especially hard drives) and the cables are bundled and tied together. Possibly, it is possible to buy screws rubber anti-noise to absorb vibrations.

Firstly, it is advisable to identify where the noise comes. For this, it should test the components separately, eg by operating the diet alone, then connecting the motherboard and the processor alone, then adding the graphics card and hard drives and CD readers and writers. A housing the cables are organized to promote the flow of air is generally less noisy. The dust that accumulates on the fans bother cooling the computer and tend to increase the volume. A little help clean inside the case (power off and having got rid of static electricity) will not hurt!

There are acoustic foam systems, to apply within the housing to contain the noise, but keep in mind that this is usually done at the expense of heat dissipation from the housing. Similarly, the muffler casing can contain the sound of noisy hard drives (for speeds below 7,200 rpm), but nothing can replace a hard drive natively silent (Samsung is the reference). The HDDs large cache are generally quieter. However, it is easy to suspend himself hard drives with rubber bands to completely annihilate the vibrations of the hard drives. To do this, just two soft elastic in Bay 5 "and ask the hard drive on it (pictures to come).

Your computer will heat too quickly and became too noisy? You want to send it in for repair? If you find that it is too expensive, or that the repair time is lost, you may be able to solve this problem alone. This method works for laptop and PC too.
    • Your computer is off. It is preferably off for a while. In other words, it is cold.
    • You turn your computer and remove the hood covering the fan. Be careful not to lose the screws.
    • Secure the fan with glass screwdriver for example, then with the brush, dust off the fan. Vacuum cleaner with dust at the same time.
    • Replace the cover and put it on.

Normally, you will find that the computer is less noisy. To make this more effective, it should be vacuumed dust. Some people use the brush on the nail remover and let it dry before turning on the computer. Others use compressed air bombs. Me, I apply this method just a few.

To avoid a max of noise, of what I do:
    1. Clean the fan very often (for me, three weeks is all I know is abused but its not dust).
    2. Add more RAM (since I added a bar, the fan less often panicked).
    3. Avoid starting too many programs at the same time (depending on your RAM). Farm well all the software you no longer use.

heat can cause due to the dust and hence fan can not cool the components effectively. Accumulations of dust and debris preventing air to circulate around the cooling devices and, therefore, the fan is forced to work longer than they should. I suggest you to remove all the dust from the hardware of your laptop and then check that problem gets solved or not.

Hi,
    I have a Lenovo t61 for many years now (maybe 3 years) and it becomes noisy few months ago. I find an IBM manual to clean it :
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...cid=MIGR-67760

The big thing for avoid the noise of the fan is to put a small drop of oil in the axis of it...

I made a little guide in pics :
    http://picasaweb.google.com/10743660...eDuVentilateur

Hope this help...
    Last edited by totocom; 21-09-2010 at 03:34 AM.