Thread: M1730 CPU Upgrade from T9300 to X9000 - Questions

M1730 CPU Upgrade from T9300 to X9000 - Questions

I am using my Dell XPS M1730 from last six months. But now I am not with its work performance. I want to upgrade its CPU config from T9300 to X9000. But I have some question about these changes. I bought this Intel X9000 from a website in 290£ and I am looking to upgrade it from T9300. . I'm somewhat used to working on release laptops and I replace the CPU in my older one Inspiron 8000 without any troubles so I think that I will be able to grip this change as well. I read somewhere the M1730 that Dell is present the X9000 but like if it was saying it will be that tough of an upgrade because it look like u can do it without removing the motherboard but the only thing is that ,this may canceled your warranty for future. So is there anybody who has done this without removing their entire board and did not lose his warranty? What should I use to clean the existing compound that I will have to take away before applying my own compound "Arctic Silver makes" ? If you any other advice please tell me about that
    Last edited by Misraji; 09-09-2010 at 11:52 PM.

Re: M1730 CPU Upgrade from T9300 to X9000 - Questions

I also have this same version Dell laptop in my office. First I am not facing any problem with my CPU t9300 and I am not looking to replace it probably the reason is I use only word office work on it. But about your first question I cannot make any comment because I am not aware about it. But still I will suggest you that you should go to the service center of Dell and should change your CPU there I hope they will solve your warrant problem. and I really do not about that Arctic silver compound .
    In The Absence Of Light
    Darkness Prevail's

I understood about your problem and I have some solution for it. I have done these kinds of changes with my Acer laptop. But I am not sure that it will surely help you for your dell laptop. And about your Arctic Silver it makes thermal paste taking away solvent and it's quite polite material, but I have seen that 90% rubbing alcohol is just as effective and it’s also ,much cheaper. Get always all you need prepared before hand. You would not like to be in the position of having your laptop open simply to not see your thermal compound. Also, be alert with your screw.
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"

So dear I also made some up gradation change with my dell laptop. But I have not done it by myself. I went to service center and they told me that there is no need to remove the mother system board. I do not think so that dell will not have the solution for your any problem. So if you will go there you will definitely found the solution and I trust their services and they understand your problem properly. Do not try it by your self. As explained above, rubbing alcohol is normal.

Hello frnd! For your first question about removing mother board I will suggest you my knowledge. And you have to remove your motherboard. Because the CPU and the heats sink is on the reverse side right under the Ageia PhysX card. And on thing also make sure that make sure you have every the screws. If you ignore one, it's going to make hold all your system. So I think you cannot ignore removing system board from laptop.

You should have a look on some videos online on YouTube or on wiki XPS about replacing video card. It will help you surely. I have done this improvement with my laptop by a technician. And at least in Italy this move voids warranty and it will not happen if they will not get it notice about it. At least in Italy this move voids warranty but this will not happen if they will not notice. Something also makes sure about all the connectors linked back in their exact place especially the keyboard and do not over tight your screw any time.

It's quite simple to unlock the whole board to modify the processor. I have just done it to my Dell M1730 laptop last week. It was simple. I estimate and I admit. I did not have to look at the manual yet again to unlock it. You will have to increase access to the system board, and open 7 screws that protected to the base, now unplug the device links wire and pick up the whole system board and turn over. The CPU is situated underneath it. I did up gradation with laptop from a T8100 to an X9000.