Go Back   TechArena Community > Hardware > Portable Devices
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 28-08-2010
Members

Laptop makes choppy noise while playing DVD

Hi,
I have Dell Inspiron 1520. It is working fine in all aspect but whenever I try to play DVD?s, it makes choppy and cracking noises while playing the cd?s. This is very irritating to me.

Video is playing without any problem when I play it directly from Hard Disk. Audio quality is also fine. Can you tell me what may be the problem? Should I replace my optical drive? Please reply.
Old 28-08-2010

Re: Laptop makes choppy noise while playing DVD

No, I think there is no problem with your optical drive. All DVD and CD sounds when we insert disk into it, because it has to be loaded onto the memory of the computer so that we can get access to it. At the start it rotates very fast that creates sound and is normal. If this sound continues throughout the video then there may be problem with your optical drive and you need to change it. But before changing it try to clean your drive.
Old 28-08-2010

I think you have not cleaned your optical drive from a long time. There may be dust in your drive which may be reason behind the noise coming out of your speaker. Clean its Walmart and other places. Disk drive cleaner is available in the market and it is not very costly. You can use it to clean your optical drive, that may help you.

Otherwise you have to go to Dell support site and check out for updated firmware/software for optical unit.
Old 28-08-2010

I was also having the same problem as mentioned above and I cleaned my optical drive with compressed air. I will check the Dell support later for the updates. Thanks for that advice.

And the big mystery to me is, now when I copy any CD or playing any data CD it doesn?t make any noise after that clean up but only when audio is turned on.
Old 28-08-2010

Don?t use compressed air to clean your optical drive. Its good but for the problem you told optical disk cleaner will be the best option. Optical disk cleaner is having a disk and some liquid in it. Disk has may tiny brushes on it. That brush actually wipes the laser and cleans it. You have to apply the liquid on the disk before inserting it in drive. You will get a complete instruction on the cleaner box.

But this will do only if noise is coming from the drive and if it?s coming from speaker them the problem is because of speaker.
Old 29-08-2010

Friends,My drive was also giving the same kind of noise. I tried all the things but nothing works. Then I did system restore and the problem is solved. My drive started running normally; maybe it was some kind of software problem. Anyway the noise is gone now. But then also I am going to get a cleaning disk, I have not cleaned my dive laser anytime before. Thanks for the suggestion of cleaning disk

TechArena Community > Hardware > Portable Devices
Tags: , , , , , , ,