Thread: IDE cable does not detect hard drive

IDE cable does not detect hard drive

I have a sata and the IDE cable hard.for first few days when i connected it worked fine but after some days it does not show any detection.when i boot my PC it works fine for some tome but after that the same problem exists again.I have try to connect a slave to it but it does not work for me.How can i overcome with these problem please reply with the answer.

Re: IDE cable does not detect hard drive

First of all you have to check the BIOS setting.In that if you can see the IDE hard drive then it is connected otherwise it is not powered off.IF you have a SATA drive so it is not necessary that your IDE drive must be a slave .These depends on the two devices on one IDE cable.So for that you have to attached two IDE cables one to the DVD and other to your drive.

There are many things that can go wrong why your IDE cable is not detected.There is a list below for the things that can go wrong as:
    1. Corrupt IDE cable attached to IDE hard drive
    2. Bad power cable supply to IDE hard drive
    3. bad IDE hard drive is also possible
    4. problem in the BIOS settings.

you have to make sure that all these things are working properly,then only the cable can detect.

As your problem mentioned above there are few things that you can do in order to make your IDE cable detectable,I am listing then below just follow it and your cable will be detected:
    • First place your hard drive in the primary IDE controller
    • Then use a different power connector to the hard drive
    • You can also use a different hard disk if you have one
    • Finally check your BIOS setting properly

Thank you simond, i have followed your step that you have mentioned above it really worked for me.First i checked my BIOS setting so it was showing that the cable is attached and i have also checked my hard drive and the power connector to the hard drive, it was working properly.I have connected the power connector to the other hard drive so it was attache to the hard drive and was working properly.

First of all you are booting to the SATA hard drive or to the IDE hard drive ?.Have you set your BIOS setting properly or not.If yes then it must have showed the drive in the BIOS setup.If you have connected more than one drive then one is master and other is slave.Then disconnect the dvd drive and reboot the system for testing it.If you are using a 80 wire conductor then it is good otherwise 40 wired conductor creates a problem, apply all of this and it will be detected.

There are a lot of issues why your cable is not detected , the most common solution is first you reboot your system properly and then check the BIOS setting in the BIOS set up screen. If it shows that the cable is detected then the problem is over otherwise check your IDE cable that it is attached properly to the drive or not. Check the hard drive connection and also check the hard drive in the primary controller. Try all these and if then also problem exists contact to the dealer of the IDE cable.