Thread: Issues formatting iPod classic

Issues formatting iPod classic

Hello,
    I want to format my ipod classic in FAT 32 but I do not know how? I try to format it with a PC, but it does not because I say I can not (I do not know what reason). I then spent on the disk utility on mac. I deleted its content but its not my not allowed to format it in any format. (I had to roll back all my music back). Can you please help me with this? Thanks in advance.

Re: Issues formatting iPod classic

You can download the latest version of your iPod software from the apple's official site. Concerning the ability to format your iPod to FAT32, maybe (I've never tried) it must be formatted on a PC and run iTunes to reinstall the software for your iPod. Why bother to use FAT32 on your iPod for use on a computer with iTunes or to serve as a hard disk with a computer?

I already try to format on a PC but this is not possible, ipod updater does not work for me (how do I choose the same version I had before on my iPod knowing that the software version and older than this one?) If not I will use my iPod as a hard disk on a computer but the problem is that even i do not know that. More information is appreciated. Thank you.

I used my iPod Classic in FAT 32 before for the same reasons as you (external drive Windows-compatible), and it is actually the formatting / restore from iTunes on a Windows, or Mac iTunes will not initialize an iPod in FAT32 . Then once the iPod formatted in FAT32, it works without problems on Mac and Windows, only the first formatting / installation is done on Windows iTunes.

Now I do not know how it's done from a computer, to format my ipod? I know only this, right click and format could screw up the whole structure of the ipod and then that it would no longer usable? What I understand in your message is that there is a possibility of formatted my ipod from itunes to a PC?