Thread: Western Digital Passport not recognized

Western Digital Passport not recognized

Just before this week , I have purchased the Western Digital My Passport Essential with the capacity of 250 GB. I have connected the same with my laptop and I found that it was functioning properly without any issues .

Now, I have connected the same with different computer system, that detected this as an "USB Device" and was not capable to finish the installation. I discarded the installation and from that moment the device is not getting detecting as any machine, including my laptop in which it performed on earlier... I called the lab where I purchased the same and they told that I have to bring up the device in...
    Can you suggest me how to resolve this issue ?

Re: Western Digital Passport not recognized

If you have not already, reboot your laptop which it functioning . Rebooting can fix so much issues . If you have rebooted already and it is not working in this case and I have some suggestions which may help.

Just move here for downloading http://support.wdc.com/product/downl...vel1=2&lang=en

Choose the drive that you have and find if there are some types of FAQs about the same issue or some program which you are able to finish the downloading to diagnose the issues .

In case, if you are not trying and searching within your device manager for the undetected USB devices. After all, you can go for the update procedure of the installed driver for any unknown USB devices. This mostly would not work since I am not considering that they even develop the drivers for WD drives since everything is connected and play now.

Thanks for the help and suggestion but you know I am afraid of this and this is not working at all...The device is getting displayed as the disk nor looking as th USB device... Do you have some other suggestions regarding this ?

After all, During the failed installation of the same , there was a box that was enabled that said. if I remember properly , "Never show device again" or something as that... I thought that it was enabled only after I issued the finish the installation... if that is the issue in this case and It is reversible?

I am running with the same issue . I purchased the WD Passport 250GB hard drive a couple weeks before. It moved properly at first. Then it contains the problems ranging from cutting out to eventually not being detected as anything more than the 'USB device'.

The problem, just as many others have discussed before , is most likely a power supply issue. Western Digital will provide you a free Powerboost USB cable or you are capable to get one up from Radioshack. A USB port with this is own power supply or a PCI USB card should be helpful in this case.

I have used the Powerboost cable without but that not moved feasible . I have terminated up switching the jumper configuration onto my motherboard from +5v to 5vsb. I don't have any idea, what this did from a technical standpoint but I switched my system back on and my HD functioning again. It has done properly without problems since for the past week.

That is the options which would be feasible for me. I would give you suggestion only for trying the last route if you are fine with messing the system innards.