Thread: Connecting External Hard Drive into the USB

Connecting External Hard Drive into the USB

Despite the circumstance that greatest Xbox 360s come pre-packaged by means of a hard drive, Xbox owners frequently locate themselves running out of space to store the entire their downloads. This has become particularly true subsequently Microsoft released and bring up-to-date that permits Xbox users to "download" their games to an Xbox 360 hard drive to cut down on loading times. Providentially, even though one cannot utilize an external USB hard drive to accumulation saved games or Xbox Live marketplace content, it be able to be hooked up to the Xbox 360 in organize to save and have a right to access pictures, songs and video. In order to do so, on the other hand, some steps must be taken to create the USB drive compatible by means of the Xbox 360.

Re: Connecting External Hard Drive into the USB

The Xbox 360 hard drive has 20 gigabytes of interplanetary. If you are looking to save a proportion of photo and MP3 files there by means of your games, this be able to take up a lot of space. Providentially, you be able to utilize an exterior hard drive to accumulation those extra files and read them on the Xbox 360. Get an exterior hard drive by means of a USB 2.0 connection. You necessity this connection to attach the drive to the console. Most of them presently manufactured hard drives be supposed to have comprise to this type of USB adapter contained. You have to immediately attach and take the backup.

In this you have to format the hard drive to read FAT32 file. If you are utilizing a Windows system, generate an FAT32 divider on the drive and format the volume. You determine to necessitate a program similar Partition Magic to do this. Load the entire the content you desire from your system onto the exterior drive. This be supposed to consist of photo files, MP3s and several additional files that be able to be read on the Xbox hard drive. You have to eliminate the exterior hard drive from your system. Plug it into your Xbox 360 console from side to side the USB port. Then you have to go to the Media menu on your Xbox screen. After that you have to choose "Portable Device" from the menu. The entire the readable files saved on the exterior drive be supposed to be obtainable to read on your Xbox 360.

In this you have to plug the USB hard drive into your system. If you have comprise not previously, download and install Partition Magic. Then after that you have to Run Partition Magic. In the Partition Magic window, choose the USB hard drive. Create certain to observe what type the USB drive has been organized as. If it says FAT32, skip to step 8. If the hard drive has been organized as no matter which additional than FAT32, choose it and hit it off "convert partition", then choose "FAT32" then hit it off "OK." Your hard drive has at present been formatted appropriately so that the Xbox 360 determine to be capable to read it. After that you have to eliminate your USB cable from the system and plug it into the Xbox 360. The Xbox be supposed to mechanically read it.

If you have comprise a CD or DVD burner, you might put the contented onto a disc and interpretation it on your Xbox 360 that method. Might save you some cash (even though the additional method would be a lot easier). The entire in excess of again I desire to stress that the media must be in the sustained format. That might be the troubles, as I was capable to observe the files on this drive when attached to my PC, and shared them to the xbox, on the other hand when I attached my drive to the xbox unswervingly, it did not even demonstrate up as a memory device. I determine to have comprise to create certain when I get home to observe what the format for the HardDrive.

The instinctive Windows format determine to format FAT32 up to 32GB. You be able to utilize third-party tools to push past that perimeter even though and I consider the 360 and 2000/XP/Vista determine to read that. Let me rephrase, I be familiar with that 2000/XP/Vista be able to read large FAT32 partitions, I am presently not certain regarding the 360 additional than I would guess it would in view of the fact that it's a heavily modified form of XP. This is a great option that I wish more people knew about. I have comprise and been going back and forth by means of an previous 80gig USB for a at the same time as at present.

I do not imagine people are conscious of this alternative, for the reason that people are screaming for "larger drives", additional than if MS did release a larger drive it would be priced unreasonably. The 20gig is plenty big sufficient, so long as my exterior works, for to bring up to date and drivers. I did not be familiar with you might select where to download Live content. As far as I distinguished, stuff from Xbox Live be able to basically download to the attached 360 HDD. If your partition is previously formatted and you can't click any "Free Available/Unused Space", delete the partition that is formatted on your Ex HDD. Then you determine to be capable to generate a innovative partition on you HDD that is Fat32 - this is the merely or simple difficultly I came across that I had to figure out myself.