Thread: Toshiba QOSMIO X500 SPDIF Problem

Toshiba QOSMIO X500 SPDIF Problem

I have a Toshiba QOSMIO X500 laptop and it is quite old now. Now I want to know that does there is a need of some type of special cable which can give a good quality sound on the new speaker system. I had gone through the specification which says that the outpt is spdif ready. What this means. I have a same indication on the amplifier. I hope this will work but does any additional component needed for this.

Re: Toshiba QOSMIO X500 SPDIF Problem

The standard S / PDIF is a format for transferring digital audio data. It is an international standard, known as IEC-958 type II, a defining part of the hardware specifications i.e. physical connection characteristics and a second protocol for data exchange which is gives you encoding format of 16 bits to 24 bits. The standard S / PDIF can be regarded as the consumer version of the interface professional AES / EBU, which he brings a number of optimizations in terms of power consumption.

There is really no need to add up any additional component to your system. You just need to make proper connection and your amplifier does the work here. The S / PDIF is used to store digital sound formats such as DAT (Digital Audio Tape) or for handling in audio equipment handling. The main advantage of S / PDIF is its ability to allow the transfer of sound between two digital audio devices without going through an analog connection, which necessarily implies a loss of quality.

One thing I want to tell you that SPDIF digital out is not a digital and you might need to depend on the amplifier for good audio support on your system. The jack which you are going not really plays a roll in that. S / PDIF is used to encode stereo or multichannel audio like AC3, DTS, MPEG2, etc. The standard S / PDIF supports the following sampling frequencies like 44.1kHz for CD, 48 kHz DAT and 32 kHz for DSR.

I am planning to use a mini-toslink to toslink cable for that. That means my connection will be like this amplifier/receiver/dac to the other end of the connection so that I can try to derive out a digital suport. Or else if you are planing to have a coaxial input between the connection above then you must have some addtional support between your notebook and the system. It is better if for this you can use a external usb card.

There are various choices for the cable you are using. Like unbalanced coaxial cable with an impedance of 75 ohms with RCA connectors. The recommended maximum distance of wiring is a fifteen yards. And in case of Fiber Optic Cable and a Toslink the data is transmitted in the same format but with optical signals emitted by a visible red LED. Given the attenuation of optical signal, the optical cable can not exceed 10 meters. Fiber Optic Cable with mini plug or minijack of 3.5 mm.

In practice, the equipments like sound cards, CD players, DVD players, amplifiers 5.1, etc are mostly equipped with RCA (CINCH). I am not sure about the specific model of laptop you are talking about. But I don't thinks that it might have a digital coaxial support and in that place you might work with optical support. This types of connections are called as Toslink. You just need to know that your receiver must have a optical input.