Thread: Cracks in NEW Unibody white Macbook

Cracks in NEW Unibody white Macbook

Interested in buying a white macbook, I conducted several searches on the web to find information about the product, and especially to avoid buying a laptop to let go after ten months of use. I then discovered that some white Macbooks have cracks in their hull: MacBook cracked, what to do? I would like to know if the latest generation of MacBooks White suffered the same problem, given that Apple is constantly improving its products. I just want to know; I am the only one who is facing this problem of cracks in NEW Unibody white Macbook and if possible solution for this problem.

Re: Cracks in NEW Unibody white Macbook

I would answer yes and no, there was the matter of "default" but it has affected a minority, all depends on the use and especially the care brings the user to his machine. When in doubt, try to find a unibody. But you cannot guarantee 100% that you will not have this problem, and even on any laptop with plastic. I hope that you have understood the problem that I am trying to convey.

Regarding the white MacBook is a bit of a lottery, I had two hands. The first, in September saw the upper side where is the trackpad (where the most common) crack after eight months. Apple changed me all without problem. I subsequently resold. Can I set one and for the moment, it has been 9 months and I have no cracks whatsoever in sight. Anyway, know that this issue is addressed by Apple even out of warranty; the care taken by the user does not change much so it is a little lottery. Anyway, apart from this "problem" that does not deprive any way the user a good use of his machine, white MacBook is really nice to use every day! If you can have the white MacBook at student prices or AOC, do not hesitate!

A crack of origin appeared on my white macbook bought. The crack appeared near the ethernet port, so I never used it. So I phoned Apple who told me he would repair at their expense, again, my macbook is still under warranty. Apparently I was misinformed, because the person would not have given a case number but just the number. The Premium Ressel refuses to take it under warranty, will take pictures and send them to Apple to study case min. After Apple has sent pictures so, refusal to take under guarantee: reason: they believe the aircraft would have been a shock. But I persisted and I sign that there was no shock! (Apple does not want to admit that their devices are perhaps not perfect?) So, I spent 30 minutes with Apple yesterday nothing yet. I went to Apple did not mind having a hardware problem and, in the worst case, even fewer problems with customer service. I began to seriously regret it!

I just recall them and they assure me that this is not covered under warranty because I have the latest generation of MacBook. They have acknowledged the failure of the older generations. They told me that perhaps one day it would be covered under warranty if other people have the same defect (of the same generation mobile). Now the that I was hoping that others must have the same problem.

My Mac is out of warranty since the beginning of the month. And I just noticed a large crack at the breakdown. I called apple and they told me it was not supported because it is the bottom box and that is supposed to resist all moves! What about your case? In short I need to worry a lot because warranty period of my MacBook is over. Thank you in advance if you can keep me informed about the problem.

Apple has just sent a letter to all authorized Apple repair center, asking them to take care of all the white Macbook cracked, unlimited warranty. Even after your year warranty ended, your darling little Mac will be returned in perfect condition without having paid a penny. Apple also describes areas susceptible to be affected, and we learn (yeah finally some of us we know already and for good reason.) that:
    1. The front
    2. The area where they put the cuffs and side of the trackpad
    3. has side ports I / O
    4. The bottom corners of the box (below the computer)
    5. Around vents
    are areas to watch. It will be recalled, however, that at the time Apple refused to take care of all the cracks on the bottom box. Nice turnaround then and I feel that my Macbook will take a turn in for repair. Because there is always that crack in the bottom box.

I just noticed 2 cracks near my ethernet port. I've scheduled an appointment with an apple genius here in Montreal. Hopefully they will repair it, my mac is only 7 months old. I don't recall ever dropping it. It's quite similar to the crack on the youtube video showing cracks on the unibody.

Quote Originally Posted by poof11 View Post
    I just noticed 2 cracks near my ethernet port. I've scheduled an appointment with an apple genius here in Montreal. Hopefully they will repair it, my mac is only 7 months old. I don't recall ever dropping it. It's quite similar to the crack on the youtube video showing cracks on the unibody.
    I don't think the unibody suffers from this issue, especially if you carry it properly (i.e. not grabbing it by a corner when moving it). But Apple will fix your cracked MacBook free of charge. Call 800-APL-CARE; or visit the Apple Store Genius Bar with a Genius Bar appointment. By the way how did the crack happen?
    In The Absence Of Light
    Darkness Prevail's

Quote Originally Posted by bon-z View Post
    I don't think the unibody suffers from this issue, especially if you carry it properly (i.e. not grabbing it by a corner when moving it). But Apple will fix your cracked MacBook free of charge. Call 800-APL-CARE; or visit the Apple Store Genius Bar with a Genius Bar appointment. By the way how did the crack happen?
    I don't know how it happened, I just noticed it yesterday. did not drop it.
    it's the same as in this video i found in youtube (at 0:20 to 0:28. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9d8eLZ1Pbw).

It's great to read though that apple will repair it for free. This is my first mac after many many years of using HP laptops, and there's no turning back for me I love the mac so much more than the buggy windows based laptops.