Thread: Blackberry Storm 2 for North American GSM Networks

Blackberry Storm 2 for North American GSM Networks

I am moderately new to the forum and I am not the most theoretically inclined person. Here's my inquiry: be able to somebody make available clarification on the two Blackberry Storm 2 models that are due to come out almost immediately. From the reading that I have completed and the videos that I have seen: There is the CDMA version or description due out on Verizon (Model 9550), and the GSM version or description for Vodafone (model 9520). I would similar to utilize this phone on the Rogers network (GSM) in Canada and globally. I formerly thought that the Vodafone version or description (9520) was the correct model that I be supposed to purchase on the other hand; I have read conflicting articles that together phone versions or descriptions have CDMA and GSM technology built in. I plan on having the apparatus unlocked additional than I am confused on whether I determine to have right of entry to 3G speeds, and/or HSPA Speeds on my preferred wireless carrier. I am considering to purchase this phone on my next trip overseas (UK - Vodafone) additional than I am hesitant that it might not meet my requirements.

Re: Blackberry Storm 2 for North American GSM Networks

The Vodafone version or description determines to work on the US GSM networks. The Verizon CDMA version or description determines to in addition have comprised the GSM networks you necessitate in Europe and approximately the world. The GSM 9520 determine to not have the CDMA channels. The response and discussion (I am tranquil confused). Immediately to recap (from the obtainable data on the UK Blackberry site "Wireless NetworksQuad-band: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz GSM/GPRS/EDGE networks Single-band: 2100 MHz UMTS/HSPA networks Dual-band". From the on top of explanation – I am assuming that I determine to have right of entry to Roger's 3G service additional than not HSPA in view of the fact that it indicated operating at 2100 MHz for UMTS/HSPA.

I immediately got my blackberry storm2 9550 and I not closed it. It runs completely on 3G network. Additional than it does not run in 2G network even though it has full signal, cannot create several call together incoming and outgoing call. SMS also cannot utilize too together send and receive. Be able to anybody assist me give pleasure to. What network are you on. Is it here in North America. If so, I am certain there are plenty of people who would be concerned in figuring out how you got 3G to run.

Recently had a business correlate by means of an unlocked Verizon Storm2 utilize a foreign SIM (China Mobile Prepaid) in China which uses GSM/EDGE 900/1800 and had plummet calls 24/7. More than a few of his associates by means of in addition unlocked VZW Storm2's had the similar tribulations. It occurred intermittently by means of dropped calls out of nowhere and sometimes not capable to dial out. The phone was established to be witched to GSM/UMTS mode (CDMA totally off to avoid roaming charges) at the same time as abroad. The CDMA portion works extremely well in the US and in addition US GSM frequencies of 850/1900 work extremely well on AT&T by means of an AT&T SIM albeit it was immediately 1 test call. He simply uses voice so it be supposed to presently work and does not necessitate data configuration (APNs, etc.) I was wondering if there was a further BlackBerry lock or configuration change desirable or is this indicative of a phone or network tribulations. Do not imagine it was a network difficulty as people by means of additional standard GSM phones work extremely well. Several associates by means of similar configuration reported the similar tribulations. Although the BlackBerry in addition supports 3G UMTS 2100MHz it be supposed to not be going onto that although it might detect a network by means of a dissimilar provider (China Unicom 3G) it does not have a SIM for that provider.

The BlackBerry perplexed connecting North America and EU/Asia frequencies and switching between the 2. The BlackBerry detected a UMTS 2100MHz network (EU/Asia band) additional than that be supposed to not matter in view of the fact that the prepaid SIM he had was China Mobile which basically has 900/1800 GSM/EDGE that hold up or maintain his phone (their 3G is a totally diff. standard). Anybody else has tribulations with a foreign SIM and a VZW BB Storm2. This is a expensive hypothetically WORLD-PHONE that supports QUAD-BAND GSM/EDGE worldwide and EU/ASIA 2100MHz UMTS/HSDPA and perceptibly North America CDMA so it be supposed to immediately "WORK" when a SIM is inserted once it's unlocked right. Several possible config changes/solutions/software updates on the BlackBerry that is able to be completed previous to the business associates travel the entire in excess of again.

The tribulations is North American GSM carriers do not have comprise, or are not capable to push the appropriate Provisioning, Browser and MMS service books to the apparatus. Fundamentally what most of them determine to do is eliminate the native browser, embed your carrier's general service books. And replace the browser. So if you have encompass scored an early Christmas present and managed to get it unlocked, let's unleash the most excellent. As many of you at present are familiar with the Storm 9530 has a North America: 1900MHz and 850 MHz GSM/GPRS networks well-matched radio and SIM card slot. This gives it the capability to be used exclusively on any GSM network once not closed.