Thread: Connect a Mac Mini to a Macbook Pro

Connect a Mac Mini to a Macbook Pro

I am using a Mac mini desktop computer from last 6 months which is working fine. Now I have purchased a new Apple Macbook pro. Now the problem with Macbook pro is that I want to connect this laptop to my Mac mini. But I dont know a method on how to successfully connect it? So, kindly give me some advice on how to connect Macbook pro to my Mac Mini. Thanks for any methods in advance.

Re: Connect a Mac Mini to a Macbook Pro

You can try to use the Target Display Mode which will allow you to use a supported iMac as an external display for Mac Mini using the Mini Displayport or ThunderBold cables. For this you will require a Mac Notebook with a Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt connection. You will also need to get a thunderbold or mini displayport cable. This will all be support on iMac with OS X 10.6.1 or later. You can visit the below link which shows iMac computers that support TDM, the reqired cables and the port of the computer to which you are connecting the iMac:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3924

Re: Connect a Mac Mini to a Macbook Pro

You can use the FireWire cable to create a connection. Follow the below steps:
    1. Make sure the target computer is turned off.
    2. If you use an Apple laptop as a PowerBook or MacBook as the target computer, plug the power adapter.
    3. Use a FireWire cable to connect the target computer to a host computer.
    4. Start the host computer, then immediately press the button and hold the T key until the FireWire icon appears. The hard disk of the target computer should become available to the host computer and will be displayed on the desktop.
    5. Once you 've finished copying the files, locate the drive icon on the target computer on the desk of the host computer and drag and drop it into the Trash or select Eject (or Move to Trash) in the File menu.
    6. Press the power button on the target computer to turn it off.
    7. Remove the FireWire cable.

You can try to use the option to perform a screen sharing, Apple Remote Desktop or else Airplay (screen sharing) with Apply TV. Incase you are having a supported model of an iMac then you can also do the Target Display mode. There is also a built-in Screen Sharing servie that can be found by going to System Preferences > Sharing and Screen Sharing will let you to broadcast exactly whats on your screen to anyone you grant access. So, if you want to enable this service then just check the box beside "Screen Sharing". Note that you might be required to unlock the Sharing pae using your password before doing so.