Thread: Ubuntu not detecting Sansa Fuze

Ubuntu not detecting Sansa Fuze

I have a SanDisk Sansa Fuze 2GB. I plugged in my PC which is running a Gibbon Ubuntu 7.10. Regarding the auto-detection by the plug & play, no problemo, it is detected as a removable disk drive (for information, it is connected via a USB cable owner). So I can well carry out my file transfers. But I have a small problem that I submit to you that I have unfortunately not found on the forum. Once my files stored on my player, whether by Nautilus or the terminal, I can see my files. So no problem on that side. When my player is disconnected from the PC and is independent, I also see these files in the menu of the SanDisk Sansa Fuze 2GB. The problem is, in fact, I think, under Windows XP. So I plug the drive on another PC that has Windows XP Pro SP3. hey well strange, my files are not detected at all and remain invisible. Would you tell me some tracks? Thanks for your community.

Re: Ubuntu not detecting Sansa Fuze

It is normal because on Windows XP sansa fuse that goes in MTP device and not MSC as Linux. if you want to see your files in XP you have configured the sansa MSC and not automatic. I would also like to recommend you to check your device. Basically, the Sansa Fuze has a 1.9 inch screen, a tape recorder and plays various formats MP3, WMA, Audible (which is the audio books), MPEG-4 and JPEG and has a slot for adding a MicroSD memory thus can expand the memory capacity and adding content. Thus, with this card you can transfer MP3 content to other devices, like cell phones and computers.

Thank you Cadallic for your quick response but I'm not say how the rise nor set it up. Under error on my part, there is no mount command under Windows XP. Or, the community sent me telling me that tampers with this forum is dedicated to Ubuntu, or even Linux but not with Microsoft products. Personally, I doubt that it does so due to the ease that reigns. Hoping that you will continue helping me.!!

Readers of SanDisk have two transfer modes: MSC and MTP. By default (factory settings), they should be set in mode "automatic detection" if the transfer capacity is available in the DPW operating system, then the player will connect in this mode. Otherwise, it connects in MSC. The MTP mode should be managed in the basic Ubuntu since version 8.04 LTS (Hardy Heron The), but in earlier versions, the player will be recognized as mass storage device.

MSC or MTP? Must make a choice. In reading the documentation from SanDisk, one notices that the two modes are mutually exclusive: they can transfer the files in both transfer modes, but we can not change in a type of connection files that were transferred to the Alternatively. Thus :
    • I logged in once and DPW have copied music in my MUSIC folder; I disconnected my player and I set to force the connection in the MSC, then I reconnected to my computer;
    • My MUSIC is seen as empty, because I can run the files previously transferred to DPW;
    • The reverse is also true: a song that I transferred in MSC mode is not seen by my file browser when I plug my player in MTP mode.

Rest assured that you select MSC or MTP mode, or even if you're juggling between the two modes, your music will be recognized by your player and will appear in its database. However, juggling between the two modes may cause duplicates: if you transfer a song in your MTP player, then you upload the same song later in the MSC, it will appear twice in your player. My recommendation is that you choose a transfer mode and you were holding it.

Observations that may or may not influence your choice :
    • MSC is probably a charm, like me, you sort your library and keep in order, or conversely if you hold it completely in disorder. TST, your library will automatically be reclassified (in the player only) depending on the content tags of your songs.
    • The playlists are not supported in MSC mode by Banshee and Rhythmbox. (I have not tried with Amarok 2.0.)
    • The MSC requires that all "defects" of dynamically mounted file systems are also present. If you're the impatient type who always disconnect your devices without removing them avoid the MSC. It appears that DPW is less whimsical side to hot disconnections. Personally, I never had the opportunity to test whether it is true or not, but I have had incomplete transfers MSC followed by a need to reboot the player.