Thread: Does itunes store your ipod serial number?

Does itunes store your ipod serial number?

I have just bought my iPod recently and it has been lost. I called to the customer support of apple and they suggested me to report about this with the prior information. So, I required to know about my serial number of the iPod which has been stolen earlier and need to submit the serial number in the report.How to get my serial number ...

Re: Does itunes store your ipod serial number?

By executing a diagnostic check from within the iTunes, you would get the “last connected iPod serial number”. Fine , you had this and currently you could report tagged number to the police and as well as just submit this to a registry , tag a craigslist ad there , whatever.

I did not go to re-check it if it still feasible . I had no causes to believe on the apple which would void such feature. At last night after investigation of my Windows iTunes software, my friends,colleague, its gone. The entire versions of iTunes 7 have void the ability to view the iPods serial number when its not hooked up. May be, you still have your receipt, box, or wrote it currently. So why would Apple perform this?

A sceptic might consider that the Apple iTunes store desires to ignore acquiring any information which could potentially involve it in the recognition of the use application software doesn't save the iPod serial numbers or transmit them to the iTunes store then Apple can claim that this can not detect the use of iPods that have been reported as lost.

They don't need your lost ipod to be found, they rather you purchase a latest one. Its easy to have one tracking mechanism that sends the ipod owner an e-mail when the itunes account is trying to login to Itunes with your ipods serial. If this is fraudulent then you can communicate with the proper authorities who can go with the information on the account and/or IP address signatures to restore a stolen Ipod to its absolute ownership but why should they scare when users will just keep purchasing them. This is the type of sickening, and sure most of the users who get tracked down would of mostly bought this off a street vendor so they can get away without any charges that is fine..

There are so many places and method where you easily can get your iPod serial number:

• From iTunes 7.6 or later
    • From iTunes 7.3-7.5
    • On the back side of your iPod
    • At the iPod About screen
    • On your iPod packaging
    • On your iPod invoice or receipt
    • In iTunes 6
    • you also get in the manuals of iPod download page..

If you always had the iPod serviced/replaced by Apple then you need to check into your account through the : apple.com>support>check my repair status>then after enter into your account. The iPods will be displayed there with the serial number just right after this.

You need to plug your iPod device with the system. When the iPod would be detected by the system and displayed by the iTunes, choose this on the left side of the iTunes window within the Devices. You should click on the summary tab, and your iPod's serial number will be shown on the screen. For iPod shuffle (first and second generation), then after click on the Settings tab.If your iPod is not now connected with your system but has been plugged with your iTunes library before, then go through the suggestions:

1. Keep down the Control key and select Help => About iTunes (Windows) or iTunes > About iTunes (Mac).
    2. Skip the Control key.
    3. When the iTunes and QuickTime version information would be displayed, you will get the serial number of the last plugged iPod as well as the last plugged iPhone's serial number and IMEI.