Thread: Erase an SSD before returning it

Erase an SSD before returning it

I have a SSD drive which I want to return back the same to my friend. I had used the same for a month. I used to copy some data in it which some important file. I had deleted the data from the drive but I still worry that someone can retrieve data from it. Does there is a reliable software for the same. I had press shift + delete to remove those files from the SSD drive. Who can retrieve the data from it.

Re: Erase an SSD before returning it

A hard drive does not erase function once the data is written on it the hard drive write more data over existing data. The more effective would be to erase sensitive files by cmd in Windows. Just click on Start > Run > Cmd and then type there format c: and then hit enter. It will erase the disc entierly. C is the name of drive which you want to format. You can put F or G whichever is your systems drive.

To recover data is possible but that needs lot of technical work. However if we observe the electron microscope on the surface of the disk then you see that there is some part of the previous data on which new is overwritten. It is clear that there remains a trace of data from a hard drive, even after having crushed. So for that you can delete the same by any software which gives you secure erase option.

The methods to exploit the traces of data on the hard drive is very complex to implement. It is then entitled to ask who would be potentially capable of performing this type of operation. There are companies that specialize in recovering data on disk. You can contact certain data recovery companies and ask them out to clear out your hard drive. They will charge you some fee for the same.

There are devices sold to delete data from a disk by passing them through an intense magnetic field. This method of clearing is considered highly effective, if the magnetic field is strong enough. Finally note that the demagnetization of a hard drive makes it unusable because it destroys the management information contained on the disc. The easiest way for you can be using secure eraser.

On the current SSD there are new option integrated which is called as Secure Erase. This service is added to bring the performance of SSD back. But the same is not available for all SSD. You can use Secure erase to permanently delete all the data and then give back the same. The simple right click format is not a worth solution for permanently deleting full files.

Just get a Bootable disc of Ubuntu. You does need to install Linux but you can boot on ubuntu by clicking on try option. The once you are on the desktop then connect your SSD and then give the command : # dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=4M in the terminal. This is the best and easiest way to wipe out all stuff and in secure manner. There are some third party software but all are not reliable.