Thread: laptop won't read external hard drive

laptop won't read external hard drive

My brother in law hooked up his external hard drive to my laptop at the same time my external hard drive was hooked up. Ever since then, my laptop won't read my external hard drive. I have tried just about everything to resolve the issue with no luck. On top of it all, I can't uninstall his external hard drive even though it is no longer plugged in. When I go through the uninstall process, after the computer reboots, it reinstalls the software. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: laptop won't read external hard drive

What is the make/model of your laptop and as well as the external drive that is not recognized in your laptop? Did you try to change the USB cable and also plug it into a different USB port. I had that problem with my Sony Vaio USB ports, if I changed ports everything worked fine. Also, you dont have to uninstall its driver every now and then, just click on "safely remove drive" in quick icon to remove your external drive from your laptop.

My laptop is an HP G62-144DX and I changed the cable and that did not seem to work. I figured out that my brother in law's hard drive is sharing the same driver as mine, but when I try to uninstall his hard drive, during the reboot, the laptop is reinstalling the software. I try to change the drive letter and that doesn't help. I still can't seem to change the path. I am willing to replace the hard drive if need be, but I don't want to run into the same problem because I can't uninstall the hard drive that I do not even own, let alone have plugged into my computer. How can I get the computer to stop automatically download the software after uninstall?

Which Operating System have you installed in your laptop? I guess its Vista because all above OS'es after Windows 98 have the capability or inbuilt feature to detect any new hardware installed to it, so you cant do much, even after uninstalling the hard drive software, because when you will plug it again then it will be detected again on your laptop. You can however use Revo Uninstaller Pro software to forcefully uninstall the driver of your bro's external hard drive.