Thread: Thinkpad W500 LCD getting dim

Thinkpad W500 LCD getting dim

I am working with Thinkpad W500 laptop. It is a very old laptop which was used by my father. Now I am using it for mails and other office work. I am noticing that the laptop screen is getting dim over time. First there was quiet a nice brightness. But the scenario is bit different when I work on with power outlet connected. The brightness was fine. It gives a bit black screen on battery. Does this is due to that.

Re: Thinkpad W500 LCD getting dim

Usually it is possible that over time the lcd screen gets degraded. That is something to deal with lights. If the laptop is relatively old then it can be a common issue. You can use that like this and then later on go for a new one. I was having a Dell system which I used for more than 5 years. After a while the screen was totally black. I had to replace the lcd for the same.

It is true that the battery can be improper or it is not giving full power to the laptop. It is some 83% of the power which the laptop consumes is supported by the battery for both input and output. And this performance is the average power-type switching. You can add up a new battery for that and then checkout back. Get a good powerful battery for the same.

I had recently added a new 16.6 V power battery to my laptop. Now the laptop appears a bight brighter. Moreover, it is imperative that a voltage of 19-20 volts is present at the output to compensate for losses of electronics computer and battery.These electronic needs 2 to 3 volts for its function of regulating the voltage. If you put a voltmeter at the output then you can find these 19 or 20 volts although it is currently powering the computer and charge the battery.

It is usually due to the degradation of the florescent lights in the lcd. As the time passes the screen gives out a lower output. If the battery has a recurring tendency to become too hot to load then you figure out that the issue is related to it only. You will need to take a chance by adding up a new battery to the system. This works out many time without issues.

Do not hesitate to contact the manufacturer's customer service in case of trouble to your system even when your laptop is old. The heating of the charger or battery shows that your system parts are rotten out. The LCD will slowly turn out full black after some time. You can try out some cleaning of the system and then check back out. Try to repair the system from the authorized service center.

A Li-ion battery is always a little heated when it is overloaded. There are some utilities which can tells the status of your system and info on batteries. This includes number of cycles, date of manufacture, Temperature Indicator, voltage, etc. As for the duration of maximum 3 years is more than enough for a battery. You must change that after that. The last you can use it till 5 years.